Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a machine to handle Crysis - Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

cbwhite

cbwhite

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My old system has just gone to greener pastures. Decided to build a nice system to handle games like crysis and perhaps have multiple video cards. Not sure on the PSU size. Any suggestions on this combination are most welcome.

Thanks

Case Thermaltake Armor+ Black Steel Case with 23cm Fan on Side Panel [VH6000BWS]
PSU Thermaltake 1200W Tough Power Active PFC Cable Management
Memory Corsair 4GB QUAD2X4096-8500C5DF (4x1GB) PC-8500 (1066MHz) Q2X4096-85C5DF
Motherboard Asus Striker II Formula 780i Socket 775
Video Card MSI 8800 Ultra Overclocked 768MB 660/2300MHz
Sound Card CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI FATAL1TY CHAMPION PCI SOUND CARD
CPU Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Quad Core
Monitor SAMSUNG 24" 245B
Hard Drive 1 WESTERN DIGITAL 150GB 10,000 RPM SERIALATA HARD DRIVE
Hard Drive 2 Western Digital 500G 16MB 7200RPM SATAII NCQ RAID RE2 WD5000YS
Hard Drive 3 Western Digital 500G 16MB 7200RPM SATAII NCQ RAID RE2 WD5000YS
DVD Drive Sony BWU200S HD Ready Internal Blu-ray Burner
http://www.geekstogo...t/confused1.gif

Advertisements

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
this comp looks like it could handle cyris very good

comp

i think its a bit pricey though it cost over $5,000.

since ur gonna build it, i would suggest using sli with the geforce 8800, im not sure which one exact, any other stuff like the cpu, mobo

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
It should be able to handle Crysis O.o

Remember thou, your system won't see 4gs of RAM unless you have a 64bit OS.

IMO, 2 8800gt in SLI should be BETTER than a Ultra and slightly cheaper.

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 12 February 2008 - 08:59 PM.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
No System as of yet can handle Crysis with all settings on high, just a warning, but your defiantly on your way haha. The CPU is great but the games now-a-days are limited by your GPU. Its a great graphics card though, if you have the money to spend maybe go SLI, it will give you ~30 % increase in performance allthough price wise its not worth it (Performance:Price ratio). How about looking over to ATI with their new 3870 X2, and if you got two of those crossfire them for a Quad Crossfire which scales better than SLi, of course Nvidia is releasing their 9XXX series which will probably out preform it and the fact that most games are optimized for Nvidia.

*** please take my advice lightly and wait for a techy to come answer, they will definitely give you better answers.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ok, I'd change just about everything in that setup :)
Get this hard drive alone
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148274

Get one or two of these cards
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150261

I'd get this motherboard, the striker seems to have A LOT of issues.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131247

If you want the best sound card on the market get this.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829156005
Otherwise this'll be just fine.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829102006

This PSU will be more then what you'll ever need.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817256036

James

Edited by james_8970, 13 February 2008 - 09:41 AM.

cbwhite

cbwhite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've made some adjustments but still would like some advice on motherboards and video cards. I guess the real question is can I go with a x38 card with the new 3870 X2 or evga 8800GTX or the 780i with the evga 8800GTX with a possible SLI config in the future. Suggestions?

Case Thermaltake Armor+ Black Steel Case[VH6000BWS]
Antec 850 Qattro
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Extreme X38 or Gigabyte GA-X38T-DQ6 (rev. 1.0)
Motherboard EVGA LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i or striker formula 2
Video Card eVGA geforce 8800GTX
or
Video Card ASUS Radeon HD 3870 X2 (1GB)

Monitor SAMSUNG 24" 245B LCD MONITOR
Hard Drive 1 WESTERN DIGITAL 150GB 10,000 RPM
Hard Drive 2 Western Digital 500G 16MB 7200RPM
Hard Drive 3 Western Digital 500G 16MB 7200RPM
DVD Drive Sony BWU200S HD Ready Internal Blu-ray Burner

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
May I say your system is overkill?? :) you must be very rich to have that rig :)

Here's my recommendation..

Processor --> any E8xxx series Core 2 Duo processor, or E6xxx series if you can't find E8xxx

Cooling --> Go straight with Thermalright 120-Ultra Extreme.. I recommend nothing less than that!! pair it with any good 12cm fan..

Motherboard --> any good P35-chipset motherboard .. My recommendation for cheap and good motherboard is Gigabyte P-35 DS3.. if you want to SLi, I would suggest you wait for the latest 750i or 780i chipset.. If you want to CrossFire, any X38-based motherboards are excellent choice.. If you want to use a quad-core, I recommend you any hi-end motherboard.. Gigabyte DQ6 is an excellent choice if you have that much money..

RAM --> actually if you are not into overclocking, any value DDR2-Ram is good enough.. no matter what speed they are.. very minimal impact on your game.. Get a 2gb minimum for XP.. and if you run Vista, go straight for 4gb.. RAM is quite cheap nowadays.. just get any value ram.. I recommend Kingston/Crucial/Micron/Elpida/Hynix due to their great compatibility with motherboards..

VGA card --> Since you mentioned Crysis, I recommend Nvidia 8800GT 512 mb at least.. even ATi 3870 is not as good as 8800GT-512mb if you mentioned Crysis.. However, I believe there's no single video card currently can play Crysis at high setting..

Power Supply... Get a good 600watt power supply... no need for 1kWatt psu if you just run on a dual-core and single vga card.. however, if you run a quad + dual hi-end vga card + overclocking, you might need that 1kWatt PSU..

HDD --> If you can afford --> go for SCSI + SCSI card.. very expensive :) or you might want to try WesternDigital Raptor.. also expensive.. but any Sata2 hard disk is good enough for me.. I never use SCSI though but I used Raptor :)

Keyboard and mouse --> I'm a fan of A4Tech and Razor brand,, some like Logitech.. its your preference..

Speaker --> too many but I just love the legendary Altec-Lansing ATP3..

Casing --> My PC is naked :)

Sound-Card --> I just use Creative X-Fi err.. forget which model but just a cheap one.. the cheapest X-Fi i think..

Monitor --> You can't go wrong with Viewsonic brand.. For your satisfaction, I recommend a 22" 2ms lcd.. for my eyes, I trust Viewsonic..

other gadgets... I'm just old-school :)

Edited by fenzodahl512, 22 February 2008 - 09:20 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

If you can afford --> go for SCSI + SCSI card.. very expensive

Don't do this.

If you are overclocking I recommend getting a 2x2GB set. If you are not overclocking PC2-8500 is overkill.

Motherboard ASUS Maximus Extreme X38 or Gigabyte GA-X38T-DQ6 (rev. 1.0)
Motherboard EVGA LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i or striker formula 2

I'd get the X38 motherboard only if you have plans on crossfiring two cards in the future, I do not recommend getting a nVidia chipset due to a number of reasons. Please note you cannot run SLI on a X38 motherboard, but you can still run a single card on those boards.
If you have no intentions of placing two cards in crossfire, I'd get a P35 chipset motherboard. If you're open to anything I'll give some suggestions.

The X-Fi xtremegamer will be enough, no need to spend extra money on the FATAL1TY name, it's marketing hype. Keep in mind that unless you have 5.1 speakers, you really won't be able to harness the advantages of this sound card and even this card cannot produce 5.1 effects in vista in all games due to microsoft discontinuing the use of Direct3Dsound.

Hard Drive 3 Western Digital 500G 16MB 7200RPM

The F1 hard drive from Samsung are superior in sheer performance.
http://www.newegg.co...mp;name=SAMSUNG

Antec 850 Qattro

If you are thinking about getting crossfiring two HD3870X2, your going to need a 1KW PSU. Bear in mind that I wouldn't crossfire these card and that the drivers do not support these cards working in crossfirex at this time. Next month drivers are supposed open up the possibility of crossfiring these cards.

I guess the real question is can I go with a x38 card with the new 3870 X2 or evga 8800GTX or the 780i with the evga 8800GTX with a possible SLI config in the future. Suggestions?

Considering I won't support the 650i/680i/750i/780i at this time, if you have any intentions of crossfiring or SLI'ing, I'd go with the X38 chipset (it only supports crossfire). The 780i's have a number of issues and are still an early BIOS/motherboard to recommend.

Unless you plan on overclocking, I strongly suggest getting another processor.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 February 2008 - 12:10 PM.

cbwhite

cbwhite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for all the advice. Here is what I put together. Got a few deals on the way. What do you think? :)

Case Thermaltake Armor+ Black Steel Case[VH6000BWS]
Antec 850 Qattro
Memory Corsair 4GB TWIN2X4096-6400C5
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X38T-DQ6 (rev. 1.0)
Video Card ASUS Radeon HD 3870 X2 (1GB)
CPU Intel Core 2 Extreme Q6600 Quad Core
DVD Drive BLU RAY PIONEER BDCS02

I did have a problem with the motherboard.
I had to load vista 64 as IDE before setting up AHCI. Vista then loaded up fine. Then I tried to update the BIOs. Big mistake. I got the recycling error that everyone seems to be getting. It starts up for a couple of seconds and shuts down and starts up again. tried everything in the book. No luck. Support pretty slow. The retailer however was great. Told them the problem, they gave me a new board. Now all works well.

Thanks again for your advice.

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

No System as of yet can handle Crysis with all settings on high, just a warning, but your defiantly on your way haha. The CPU is great but the games now-a-days are limited by your GPU. Its a great graphics card though, if you have the money to spend maybe go SLI, it will give you ~30 % increase in performance allthough price wise its not worth it (Performance:Price ratio). How about looking over to ATI with their new 3870 X2, and if you got two of those crossfire them for a Quad Crossfire which scales better than SLi, of course Nvidia is releasing their 9XXX series which will probably out preform it and the fact that most games are optimized for Nvidia.

*** please take my advice lightly and wait for a techy to come answer, they will definitely give you better answers.

ATI as of yet hasn't produced any good working drivers to run two 3870 X2's in Quadfire mode. Although word on the street is their coming soon.