Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Should WHS be used in a Business setting?

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I'm looking at using WHS in a hardware store. We have approx 10 administration staff. All staff have their own Win XP machine. I'd like to be able to backup files, allow each staff member their own storage folder, share files, have access to some files from home, and have the ability to restore a dead hard drive. In my opinion, Windows Home Server fits the bill just right. Am I missing something? Is there a reason I would not want to use it?

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
limeman,

I did some research on your question and it appears that this does not violate the EULA. However, you are limited to 10 users - should you expand, you would not be able to add anyone else. In addition, WHS cannot use Active Directory or join an existing domain, except as another PC. That leaves you no room for expansion. Should you ever want to use Active Directory or expand beyond 10 users, you would have to upgrade to at least Small Business Server 2003.

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks for your reply. You make some good points. I guess my biggest obsticle is the 10 user limit. Beyond that, I don't forsee a need for AD or other SBS functions.