Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System doesn't work at all

• Please log in to reply

Areten

Areten

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Tried to dual-boot XP on Vista.. On startup it said No operation system so I went back to running windows install and removed partition that i've precreated for XP. Then i quit the installation hoping that vista would run now and after restart computer just freezes at screen where it says P4P800-X, Pentium 4 press del to run setup. When i press delete nothing happens and it goes no further than that screen. Only if i press it really fast just when computer starts it gets me to American Megatrends page where i can't do anything except press F8 to run some BBS Popup. I tried to put CD's with bios and windows but it doesnt even go to them.. Any help would be appretiated.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Okay. First, the make and model of your system.

Secondly, do you have an actual Vista install cd or one of those recovery/restore cd's?

Lastly, when you went into BIOS, did you change the fiorst boot device to the cd drive and then press F8 to save the change before you exited BIOS?

Murray

Areten

Areten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have actual vista install but not the recovery CD's.. I can't go to bios.. The first splash screen from which you usually go to bios just freezes.. And if i press delete nothing happens. Only if i press "delete" fast just right when computer starts it gets me to this:

-------------------------------------------------------------
AMIBIOS(С)2003 American Megatrends, Inc.
ASUS P4P800-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1009
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Speed: 3.40 Ghz

Entering SETUP....
Press <F8> for BBS POPP
DDR Frequency 400 Mhz, Single-Channel or Virtual Single-Channel
Cheking NVRAM...
1536MB OK
USB Device(s): 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse
Auto-Detecting Pri Master..IDE Hard Disk
Auto-Detectinf Sec Master..ATAPI CD-ROM
Pri Master: SAMSUNG SP1203N TL100-30
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T Cable and Satus OK
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats it, cant go anywhere from there. (computer is about 4 years old)

Edited by Areten, 13 February 2008 - 09:43 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Make and model of computer, Areten.
Or did you build it.

This will help Murray S.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. if you press <F8>, what does that take you to?

When the system first boots up, what options are you given if any or what shows on the screen?

Murray

Areten

Areten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'll try to explain more clearly.. When everything worked fine as soon as i pressed power button: 1.)Shows Graphics Card Name (for less than a second) 2.)Shows splash screen "ASUS motherboard name, Pentium 4,etc".. Thats where you should press "DEL" key and go to bios. 3.) Shows American Megatrends (for less than half a second) 4.) Windows Starts loading..

What has happened now is that it just stops at step 2 and goes no further. So i see the splash screen and nothing happens at all.. And no matter what i press nothing changes.

Company: Everest
CPU: Socket 478 with hyper-threading

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Never heard of an "Everest" computer. Was this a custom job or did you purchase it from a retailer?

Look on the back. There should be a sticker giving the make and model - Acer t180, Toshiba Satelite, etc.

Murray

Areten

Areten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It was made in Ukraine. In 2005, I checked the sticker. Says nothing more except voltage and thing like that..

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Vista did not come out until 2007. How did this one happen to come pre-installed?

Murray

Areten

Areten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Could we get to the problem?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The problem is I am concerned about your Vista install. Your system was made two years prior to Vistra coming out yet you say it came pre-installed and you don't have the cd's for it.

Perhaps Vista was actually downloaded from the net and installed that way?

Without the cd, you will be unable to affect a repair.

Murray

Areten

Areten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
When i bought PC xp was on it.. Later i installed vista. I have bouth installation CDs for vista and XP. Even if i had some super recovery CD its still would not help because it doesnt even get to the bios. It doesn't matter at all what windows i have.

Edited by Areten, 13 February 2008 - 03:43 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. if you put the Vista cd in the cd drive and reboot the system, can you see an option to "press any key to boot from cd" ?

How about the XP cd?

Again, if these cd's are ones you or someone else downloaded and made for you, this won't work as getting into setup is very different.

Murray

Areten

Areten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
"When everything worked fine as soon as i pressed power button: 1.)Shows Graphics Card Name (for less than a second) 2.)Shows splash screen "ASUS motherboard name, Pentium 4,etc".. Thats where you should press "DEL" key and go to bios. 3.) Shows American Megatrends (for less than half a second) 4.) Windows Starts loading..

What has happened now is that it just stops at step 2 and goes no further. So i see the splash screen and nothing happens at all.. And no matter what i press nothing changes."

Computer reads cd after step 3. As i said everything freezes on step 2. So ofcourse i can't see it.

Edited by Areten, 13 February 2008 - 04:07 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Okay.. if you press <F8>, what does that take you to?

What about this?

Murray