Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Update Breaks Computer...

• Please log in to reply

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Last night, I turned off my computer and the Windows Update installed 9 updates...

Today I turned my computer on and got the blue screen of death. That had never happened before and the computer is only a month old.

Before I turned it off, I ran both Spy-Sweeper scans and Trend Micro scans like I usually do, so the Updates are the only things that I think would have caused this problem.

So then, I chose the repair option once I restarted my computer, like the blue screen told me to. The other one was Start Windows Normally. Then, it starts doing whatever it's supposed to do. A message to restore my computer comes up, so I choose the option to do that.

My computer then starts fine, I put in my password, but in the bottom right corner of my screen in the taskbar... there's a baloon that says when I hover my mouse over it, that it's installing updates... I wait for it to get to 100% and I also run a Spy Sweeper scan.

Nothing comes up in the scan, so I turn of my computer using the button that says it will install updates and turn off my computer. I click it... and guess what... It starts installing update 1 of 9. The message says not to turn off my computer, so I wait for it to finish.

I turn my computer on, and guess what happens....

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

How do I take off the update thing?

Advertisements

cathudog

cathudog

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Did you get any error codes with this shutdown or did you check to see if there are any new problem reports also are you using FF and updated it a coupel days ago when the update came out.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Turning off updates:

Link for turning off updates.

I suggest if you're able to repair it by doing the repair option or system restore, is to turn off the automatic updates first for a while.
wait for few weeks before you turn it on again. Sometimes updates has bugs in it that can cause windows errors.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
It might be that an update is clashing with some software that starts at boot up.

Would be nice to know the blue screen message.

Can you start in safe mode?

If you can start up, you could check the problems, reports and solutions section in Control Panel to see if anythign is listed there.

(When you did the restore, you reverted to a place before you did the updates, that is why the update wanted to go again. So you may have to do another restore like you did)

Also, while your booted up, (if you can) - Go to Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Start up and Recovery Settings - once there, uncheck the automatic restart under system failure. What that does is leave the Blue Screen up so you can read and gather all the information about it.

(I had a Blue Screen problem after an update once, it was actually a start up issue with media software)

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks everyone for all your help. I turned off the windows update, and my computer doesn't install the updates when I turn of my computer.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
You will want to keep updated with the critical ones. :)