Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Wifi Network Adapter

• Please log in to reply

pateric

pateric

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello

My son has just bought a Zydas USB Wifi Network Adapter so that he can connect his Nintendo DS. Evereything seems to have installed properly, the new device shows up in the Network Adapters section of my PC's Device Manager and it says the device is working properly. However it is not connecting to the 'net. The link status just constantly shows that it is in the process of connecting but it has been like that for hours. (see attached screen dump). My Network Connections in the Control Panel also shows the device but has a red cross next to it to say it isn't connected.

The only thing I can think of is that there is no signal where the PC is situated. Is that plausible. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Attached File  Doc1.doc   36.5KB   17 downloads

Advertisements

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
i would like to ask you a few questions.

Do you have an active service running? Have you paid for an internet services. If you have what kind of internet service do you have?
Is that a DSL (broadband)- this is provided normally by phone companies like (at&t, verizon, aol etc.)
Is that a Cable (broadband) - provided normally by cable tv providers (cox.net, comcast cable etc.)
Or is that a MCP ( mobile cellphone provider broadband) - uses cellphone signal technology (cingular, vodafone, at&t )

If your using the first two DSL and CABLE and you want to connect wirelessly, you need a wireless router for you to get your wireless connection from.

If your using an MCP technology, you need to have a sim card that will be provided by cellphone companies.

Thanks, your answer will help us solve the problem.

pateric

pateric

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

Thanks for replying. To answer your questions
I pay monthly for the internet. It connects in via my telephone line, i.e. I plug a little box in there that runs to a modem which plugs into my PC. I guess that means it is a DSL.

My ffriends son bought a similar device and it worked fine in his PC. He doesn't have a router yet it works fine.

I tried bringing a laptop home from work and loading it on there. I had a similar problem, i.e. it showed that it was connecting but nothing happened. There was one difference in that in the available networks it showed the guy who has a workshop in the building next door.

The way it was advertised, and my sons friend's experience, indicated you could just plug and go. Is the only way I can do it, bearing in mind it is only so my son can connect his Nintendo DS to the net, by buying a wireless router?

Thanks

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
if you dont have a wireless router, i suggest go and get one. If you only have a modem, it will not transmit wireless signals to the computer. Modem is for internet connections and 1 computer or 1 Router. For you to connect multiple computers (wireless and wired) You need a router. So if you have these two devices you will be able to connect to the internet using wireless..

Edited by wytboy55, 18 February 2008 - 02:48 PM.