Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS updates

• Please log in to reply

Skyedog

Skyedog

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
How important are BIOS updates? Should you update for every new release??

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
BIOS updates (or rather installing them) can be potentially harmful to your system if the update goes wrong (eg a power outage during the update), leaving you with a system that won't boot. The general consensus therefore is to only update the BIOS if the new version adds a feature or an option which your current version doesn't have, and which you would like to have. Otherwise leave well alone. BIOS updates are by no means a 'must have'. There has to be a compelling reason to do it, very much like updating a device-driver when there's nothing wrong with the old one. I'm a big believer in "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

Skyedog

Skyedog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I agree with you whole heartedly, but at the ASUS site update 703 they say "1. Enhance compatibility of certain memroy module.
2. Support new CPUs" which is pretty vague. Same with Bios update 901 "Enhance compatibility with certain memory modules." So how do you know if you should or shouldn't update. They don't go into specifics. :) The reason I ask is that I encounter some banding issues in COD4...

Edited by Skyedog, 08 April 2008 - 01:38 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
General rule of thumb:
If it's working, don't flash it.
BIOS updates that go wrong are not covered by any warranties you may have, it'll be classed as user damage.