Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D-Link adapter

• Please log in to reply

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My friend has a D-link DWL-520 rev B wireless adapter. He has it installed and it works sometimes but because Wireless zero configuration always connects to the router with the strongest signal he can not always connect to the router we use cuz we have it named the same as another persons. I know you can change the name of our router and it will fix the problem but I was wanting to know if there was any way to fix the problem of him not being able use the software that came with the disc. This is the situation. He has it installed and I can find it under c/program files / d-link and under the start menu but when i click on the icon to use that service to connect instead of WZC it doesnt open. The time glass thing starts for like 5 seconds like it will open then it stops and nothing happens. I dont have the disc anymore so im scared to uninstall it and try reinstalling it from a driver i got online, which im not even really sure if its the right driver cuz I run the setup and it has a setup wizard pop up and i click next and it has an upload page but doesnt do anything or give me new icons. Can I save the entire folder to a flash drive and then uninstall and use that to reinstall? Is this a sign of a virus?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can't simply copy a program's folder to another location (eg a flash drive) then use that to install the program. It won't work. There will be other support files in the Windows folder belonging to the D-Link application and it won't run without those. You need the original installer or setup file which was on the CD. If you go to the D-link website you should be able to download the original driver and application setup program, all you need to know is the model number of the wireless adaptor. D-Link downloads are here: http://support.dlink.com/downloads/

Any strange behaviour on a PC could be caused by a virus but it's less likely if there's a good and up-to-date antivirus installed. But to be sure, you should submit a HijackThis log to the Malware forum here: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

HijackThis is here: http://www.spywarein....php#hijackthis

Edited by pip22, 13 February 2008 - 08:02 PM.