Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Click on user name to boot into xp

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
After installing some updates on XP Home I now have to click on my user name icon before booting into windows. How can I get rid of that and boot directly into xp? Thanks Bruce

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Follow the instructions towards the bottom of this page :) Enable Auto Logon

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I don't use a password at all. Just have a name on my account. I thought this was a problem after installing netframework. Before doing all the updates on a fresh install I have no problem. After he updates then I have to click on my account name to log in. I don't have a password for hat one reason because I am the only one that uses this pc. Bruce

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Picky, the directions are still valid, just leave the password fileds blank

You can also turn on automatic logon without editing the registry in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and in Microsoft Windows XP Professional on a computer that is not joined to a domain. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Click Start, and then click Run.
  • In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.

Note When users try to display help information in the User Accounts window in Windows XP Home Edition, the help information is not displayed. Additionally, users receive the following error message:

Cannot find the Drive:\Windows\System32\users.hlp Help file. Check to see that the file exists on your hard disk drive. If it does not exist, you must reinstall it.
  • Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.
  • In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box.
    (If you don't have a password, leave these fields blank)<--- I added this
  • Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to close the User Accounts windo

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks , I Thought I have already tried that , but I will try it again.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
If that doesn't work, you can use MS's TweakUI PowerToy to do it:
  • Obtain and install the Windows XP version of TweakUI.
  • Click on Start, Programs, Powertoys for Windows XP then TweakUI
  • Expand the Logon branch, and click Autologon.
  • Turn on the Log on automatically at system startup option, type your username and password (if you have a password), and click OK