Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Device Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

Anne

Anne

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have an HP Pavilion laptop and have been using a Logitech wireless mouse for several months. Recently the mouse stopped being recognized and I got the message : USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. Try reconnecting the device and if Windows does not recognize it, replace the device.

I just got back from purchasing a Microsoft wireless mouse and am getting the same message, no matter what USB port I insert it in.

I'm not sure what to do now. I looked at my device manager and nothing seems to have an alert next to it. Is there any advice you can give me?

Thanks in advance!

Anne

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try it on another computer?

Donutdan4114

Donutdan4114

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
If you try it on another computer and it works, it might be your usb settings in the device manager. You laptop may be disabling some access to the usb ports. It does this to conserve power (battery life). You can try going into "my computer" properties, go to the device manager. Go down to where it says universal serial bus controlers. Double click on each selection and see if you find a "power management" tab.. Make sure that the setting "turn this device off when on low power" is turned off.