Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Build

• Please log in to reply

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hi! I've been researching a bit but then figured I'd save myself a lot of hassles by just checking with the friendly experts here. :)

OK! Here's what I currently have:
Intel Corporation D945GNT mobo 800MHz FSB
3.4GHz Intel Pentium D Processor 945
4 X 1GB DDR2 533MHz PC2-4200
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1300 Video Card 256MB
2 W/D SATA II 120GB drives &7200 RPM 8MB Cache

I'm looking to upgrade. I want something that meets today's standards but doesn't have to be bleeding edge. I'm not a gamer but I wouldn't mind one day getting some flight sim games:
I want a medium priced quad core processor--Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz or Intel Xeon E5405 Harpertown 2.0GHz??
A mobo with a FSB worthy of the processor.
1066 DDR Memory--Kingston HyperX or Crucial Ballistix?? (Will I notice much difference betwee this and 800 or something faster?)
A harddrive that can keep up with the rest.
And, is my video card OK, or do I need to upgrade it too?

Or, what about this:
http://www.tigerdire...=MBM-M3A32-9500

I'd like to keep it as close to $500 - $600 as possible, but I'll go a little higher if I need too. Now, please understand that I am NOT an overclocker, in fact, I like to just plug everything in and have it work. That means I'd rather not have to make any changes in the BIOS if at all possible and have everything run at its rated speed. So, what are your recommendations? :)

THANKS!!!

Edited by Julio, 13 February 2008 - 09:04 PM.

Advertisements

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
is your current video card agp or pci express. if its agp you will most likely have to upgrade that to cause most new mobos, don't have an agp slot, just pci express and pci slots. i would suggest the geforce 7 or 8 series depending on how much you want to spend.

on the other items im not to sure about, ill leave that for the next person(i dont like to guess)

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
PCI-E

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What are your uses for the computer? What programs do you use that make you want a quad-core CPU? For everyday use, a dual-core is better and more economical.

The Xeon is a server CPU, as a home user you probably don't want that.

Mobos don't have FSBs, the CPU does. It's important that the mobo can support the CPU's FSB though. I would suggest this mobo.

I would recommend some DDR2-800 RAM like this, which is a much better buy than DDR2-1066 RAM. The only reason I'd recommend DDR2-1066 RAM is if you were planning on overclocking, but you said you weren't.

Unless you need more storage space, I'd stick with your current hard drives; you aren't going to find hard drives much better than your current ones with your budget.

I believe your current graphics card is a PCI-Express card. Even so, I'd still recommend an upgrade if you want to game. If you are not gaming, then it probably won't be necessary to upgrade.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Very helpful--THANKS!! I've bookmarked the items. Which processor do you recommend? And with all this, will I see a noticeable an improvement over what I have?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
No problem. :) But again, it is hard to recommend parts without knowing what they will be used for.

Edited by stettybet0, 13 February 2008 - 09:26 PM.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Running multiple programs at the same time including Photoshop. Everyday use--surfing, email, etc. and later, flight sims. If I can't really get much of an improvement, maybe I'll just upgrade the CPU and build a cheaper one just for my online job--no spreadsheets or CAD. You see, this one is not the most reliable build--I guess that's what I really want: speed with reliability--and I want one computer for just my work program (hooking up to the company over the Internet and dealing with customers with VOIP). I wanted to build a faster one for my enjoyment and make this the work comp. by taking everything off it except work related stuff and security.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Also, I'm looking around at motherboards and besides the 24-pin power connector, they have an 8-pin connector. I only have a 4-pin connector--are they comaptible?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Also, I'm looking around at motherboards and besides the 24-pin power connector, they have an 8-pin connector. I only have a 4-pin connector--are they comaptible?

Yes and no. Without the 8pin connector, a quad core CPU will not be stable on a 680i motherboard. You might be able to get by with a dual core, but to be honest, it's not worth the troubles it may cause.
Can you list you PSU specs here.
Do you have a monitor? If you already have DDR2 RAM, don't bother getting new RAM that has a higher frequency. You will not notice much of a difference and the money could be used much better elsewhere.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 February 2008 - 02:10 PM.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I currently have an Ultra X-Connect 500W but with the 4-pin (it's a couple years old). I also have 4GD DDR2 533MHz. I was directed to this by someone else:
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2406

Looks good to me, no? Thanks.