Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card for a Server / PC

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Hey, I am putting together a Team Fortress 2 server with some old parts and need a PCI-E x16 video card. Any suggestions? The most intensive thing that it might run in its lifespan is some YouTube videos or something. I am probably going to buy the cheapest PCI-E x16 card I can find but if anyone has any cheep recommendations, I am open to it. Link: http://www.newegg.co...amp;Order=PRICE

Edit: The specs on the Server so far are 2GB DDR2, and a Pentium D from a friends old PC. Probably going to run Ubuntu as the OS then maybe sell it with XP or Vista of something.

Edited by jackflash1991, 13 February 2008 - 09:26 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Any one of the cheap cards would be fine. However, don't get one that says "supports up to xxxMB, xxxMB onboard". It will take up system RAM to get from the onboard amount to the supported amount, and you probably don't want that. This can be disabled, but it's probably less of a hassle to get a card which doesn't support that feature.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Oh I forgot that if I sell it it will probably have Vista Home Basic on it. So and the requirements for the video card will be:

Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory

So yeah those cards will be fine

Edited by jackflash1991, 13 February 2008 - 09:31 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102716
30$, assuming you get the rebate. If you get the rebate, you won't get better performance for your dollar.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102716
30$, assuming you get the rebate. If you get the rebate, you won't get better performance for your dollar.
James

:) James, are you recommending a Sapphire :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's the cheapest available card and only 30$, the next thing that is similar is 20$ more. For 30$, it's worth the risk IMO. There are no quality control issues, but their support seems to lack, if this was a 50$+ card, then I'd be looking elsewhere.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok, nice. :) and it is:

Windows Vista Certified for Windows Vista

Edited by jackflash1991, 14 February 2008 - 02:39 PM.