Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor keeps going to sleep

• Please log in to reply

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I recently just upgraded my computer, and gave my fiance my old computer. My old one is still a great computer and I would still use it as an alternative. Well, because of my new computer expenditure, she wanted a new monitor for her "new" computer. We went out and bought an HP w2007 20" widescreen monitor. Now, every time she is playing City of Villains with me, it randomly says "Going to sleep" and the screen goes black, and will not wake up. I've tried changing the desktop sleep setting, and the monitor's built in sleep settings.
I know it's not the video card, because I hooked it up to my monitor again and played for hours and no issues. If it's the monitor, I want to know so I can take it back and swap it out before it's too late.

Any suggestions?

P.S. My monitor is a 19" fullscreen (or whatever not-widescreen is called..Lol) I don't know if that makes a difference.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your monitor is obviously bored. Play with it a bit more. Feed it a fresh cup of coffee every two and a half hours and it'll stop going to sleep. :)

Seriously though, don't feed monitors coffee. It invalidates the warranty.

This sort of random going-off type lark is usually caused by the graphics card or lack of power. I presume by "hooked it up to my monitor" you meant you took the card out of the machine and put it in yours, or did you just put your monitor on their computer? What sort of video card is it?

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
As I've said, I know its not the graphics card, because it works fine when I hook my monitor up to it and by that, I mean, I hooked my monitor up to her computer, but it could be the power supply?
And the video card is a ati radeon 9550...an old crappy agp card :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
So its her monitor then. If it only happens with her monitor connected, that is the problem. Since yours is connected and things don't go wrong, it can only be her monitor.