Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Belkin Wireless router as Acess point

• Please log in to reply

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hi guys:

I got a Belkin Wireless Router to use with my university internet connection. The internet is super slow - and becomes worse when the modem is running. I disabled the firewall on the router - but still no use. The Internet works fine - but instant messaging keeps throwing me off. There are 2 of us, that use the wireless connection.

I know that the Belkin router has a feature that can turn this router in to an ACCESS POINT. I called Belkin and they said that if I turned the router into an access point - only one computer can be connected to the access point at any given time! Is this the case - I was under the impression that multiple computers can connect to an access point.

Also would turning this router into an access point make the connection any faster? :)

Thanks in advance

Sunny

Advertisements

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
if your connecting to your university connection, that could only mean that there are a lot of people using the internet connection in that area. Remember that if there are a lot of people using the internet in one area (especially if they are wireless) it will make one's connection slower. I suggest using a wire (ethernet cable) is the solution to this problem. An access point would not make your connection faster. If you already used an ethernet cable and the connection is still slow, there might be a problem with the internet connectivity already.