Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop's resolution changes when I close it.

• Please log in to reply

AniDanny

AniDanny

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I've been using a IBM Thinkpad T43p for a few years now. A couple days ago, the hard drive stopped working, so I had to get a new one. I've gotten it mostly back to normal now. One of the biggest annoyances is that for some reason, after I open up the laptop, the screen flickers back on, and for a split-second, it's in the wrong resolution. I'm not sure, but it's somewhere around 800x600. I normally use 1400x1050, so when it does this, it screws up where a lot of things on my screen are. I checked around on Google, and the best I could find was this: http://forum.noteboo...hp/t-61258.html I tried what was suggested there, and it didn't work. That may have been because that was for a T60 and not a T43p.

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem, or know how I would go about fixing it?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you load all the drivers for the laptop? The lenovo site has them: Lenovo Support and Downloads ... see Video near the bottom of the page.

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Just finished installing the video drivers, still doesn't seem to have helped... =\

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you update to the latest BIOS as the link directed? Right at the top of the Lenovo page is BIOS update choices.

The fixes listed here: http://www-307.ibm.c...ocid=MIGR-60768 include this one:

(Fix) After closing and then opening the LCD, location of icons on the Microsoft Windows desktop may be changed.
Note: To resolve this problem, after updating the BIOS with this package, the following display driver must be installed, again.
Video driver (Intel 910GML/915GM) Version 6.14.10.4693 or higher

matt2012

matt2012

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you have IBM Thinkvantage utilities installed?

IBM has something call Presentation Director that is used to quickly change resolution and display output settings for people who make presentations on LCD projectors. This thing causes problems like that with my users all the time.

Hold the Fn Key and hit F7 (normal hot keys to start presentation director) or go to start > all programs > Access IBM > Presentation Director

Then click the button that says Fn + F7 settings.

Change the settings to say Switch from LCD to external monitor then both (and then repeat)

This will essentially disable presentation director and I bet it will remove the problem for you.

-Matt-

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Updated the BIOS, changed the Fn+F7 options... STILL not fixed. >.<

matt2012

matt2012

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Can you go back into Presentation directory and check what resolution it is set to?

See if the display scheme is set to " Factory default Thinkpad display settings (LCD only) ."

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I can't figure out how to make sure that it's set to that. I have a bunch of things checked; I unchecked all of them except "Factory Default Thinkpad Display Settings (LCD only)" and "My Normal Display Settings" (because as far as I know, the latter can't be unchecked). Unfortunately, I don't know which of them the computer's actually using, nor do I know how to go about changing that. I've tried changing what Fn+F7 does (telling it "when I press Fn+F7, ask me what to do", etc), and it doesn't actually change how my computer reacts.

matt2012

matt2012

• Pip
  • 4 posts
well, If you press FN+F7 and you have presentation director enabled, a window will appear on your screen with a list of resolutions that you can choose from. if you have changed the FN+F7 setting to what I posted above you will not get that window. You screen should just toggle between external and onboard video. This means that if you have an external montior attached to your laptop and you hit FN+F7 your LCD on your laptop will go black and your desktop will display on the external monitor. If you hit FN+F7 a second time you will see your display on both your LCD and external monitor and if you hit it a third time it will turn off the external monitor and you will only see things on you laptop LCD.

If you do not have an external monitor and you hit your FN+F7 the screen will go black. If you hit it again it will come back on.

When in the presentation director settings screen ( Start > Programs >IBM Access > Presentation Director) the current resolution settings that you are using is show at the top of the list. Scroll down the list untill you see an option for factory default display settings. Highlight it and click apply. your screen will go black for a few seconds and then come back on once the new settings are applied. Now you are in the right display mode.

once you are in the default settings adn you are still having trouble, be sure that your FN+F7 settings are set the way I said in my other post.

After that, If you are still having trouble, I would go to the lenovo website and pull the latest version of the Access IBM softwares from the T60 Divers/Software page....If it still won't work after that, I would just remove that presentation director all together...its not worth all this trouble and you can get the same job done with the FN+F7 combo without it.

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Uninstalling, hadn't even thought of that option. I have absolutely no use for the presentation director, as Desktop -> Properties -> Settings can do roughly the same thing... Hopefully it IS actually the presentation director that's the problem; I'll be slightly annoyed if I uninstall it only to find out that the problem still persists.

Advertisements

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Uninstalled the presentation director, and the problem's STILL there. Gah...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

after I open up the laptop, the screen flickers back on, and for a split-second, it's in the wrong resolution. I'm not sure, but it's somewhere around 800x600. I normally use 1400x1050, so when it does this, it screws up where a lot of things on my screen are.

how long does it last...and /or do you mean it just moves your desktop items (icons) around

are you using hibernate or standby...

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
When I close the laptop's monitor, it just turns the monitor off. Doesn't hibernate, doesn't standby. I normally have my AIM buddy list stretched the entire length of one side of the computer, and it gets shrunk down to roughly half the height it was before turning off the monitor. Also if I have skype or AIM IM windows open towards the bottom or right side of the screen, they get shoved up towards the top-left.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have Hibernate enabled?

Open Desktop Properties, Screen Saver tab. What are your settings there?

Click on the Hibernate tab, is it enabled? If not, enable it and see what happens.

Something is happening when you close the lid and it's more than just turning the display off. Do you have any kind of screen saver installed?

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I have screen saver set to "None". Hibernate was enabled; but that shouldn't be doing anything, and it wouldn't be, as hibernate usually takes about 2 minutes to shut down and another minute to start back up, and this is insantaneous. The power settings are all set to Never (turn off monitor/hard disks, standby, or hibernate). Under the advanced tab, I have it set to "When I close the lid of my laptop: Do Nothing". I can't think what else it would be...