Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop's resolution changes when I close it.

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm stumped as well. Give the IBM Thinkpad T4x forum a try, see if anyone there has any ideas.

http://forum.thinkpa...ewforum.php?f=2

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Go to power management settings in control panel. Advanced...settings....
and find the one that gives you an option to edit what closing the lid does....
you should have a choice, of do nothing, sleep, or turn off.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Happyrck, in her his last post she said:

The power settings are all set to Never (turn off monitor/hard disks, standby, or hibernate). Under the advanced tab, I have it set to "When I close the lid of my laptop: Do Nothing".

Edited by Ztruker, 26 February 2008 - 04:28 PM.

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Is there something in your video card settings to reset it back tot default. Maybe check the monitor tab and see if there is something in there causing it to reset. Have you checked for any viruses or spyware. Sometimes that might do it.

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
happy: The options are actually Do Nothing, Standby, and Hibernate. No option for turning off monitor, though it's supposed to do that when the monitor's closed regardless of other settings; there's no way it would be a good idea to leave the monitor on when you can't see it.

Ztruker: I'm a guy. >.> Also I'll try the other forum and see if I can get any help there.

Patrick: Dunno how to change settings on my video card. Monitor tab seemed normal. Checked for viruses and spyware, got rid of what little there was, and the problem still persists.

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Have you tried hooking up your laptop to CRT or LCD monitor. and than closing the lid. What happened? Have you tried telling to use the monitor instead of the laptops monitor. I don't no how much that will help.

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I have no other monitors; only my laptop's monitor.

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
oh okay. hmmmmm............

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you take your laptop to a friends house and connect their monitor to it?

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Would that actually solve anything? I mean, I'm not going to buy a new monitor just because I'm having software issues, so if it DOES work properly when hooked up to a different monitor, I don't see that changing my situation any.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
edited out...already been tried

Edited by happyrck, 28 February 2008 - 05:22 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It would tell us whether it applies only to the LCD monitor or if it's a video "in general" problem.

clisson

clisson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
have the same problem with my T43.
put a new image on my c: drive two weeks ago and after that this problem appeared.
never had it before, didnt change any hardware, so it seems like it a new driver somewhere that causes the problem. it migth be the presentation director but im not sure.
i only have the problem when i have "lid closed: do nothing". if i set it to standby then i dont get the resolution change.

so, as far as i can see its a combo of the "lid closed: do nothing" and the presentation director. might be a driver or bios update that i didnt have on my last image but im not sure.

if anyone have any more information on this please let me know!

AniDanny

AniDanny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
It's not the presentation director; I got rid of that and the problem persisted. I updated the drivers and bios, and there was no change.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
AniDanny, you're probably right about the external monitor. Nice tourist info but useless for resolving the problem.

Did you try posting in the IBM Thinkpad T4x forum as I suggested?