Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COMPUTER WONT TURN ON

• Please log in to reply

supermech1116

supermech1116

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I HAVE A EMACHINES T2984 COMPUTER THE OTHER DAY I SHUT IT DOWN SO WE COULD TURN THE POWER OFF TO OUR HOUSE TO DO ELECTRICAL WORK. WHEN I WENT TO TURN THE COMPUTER BACK ON IT WONT DO ANYTHING AS IF IT WERE UNPLUGGED. I TRIED A DIFFERENT POWER SUPPLY BUT NO LUCK. WHEN I OPENED THE PC THERE IS A LIGHT ON THE MOTHERBOARD INDICATING THAT THERE IS POWER COMING IN TO THE BOARD. WHAT ELSE CAN I POSSIBLY CHECK.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Bad ram can cause this( maybe just no connection, reseat the ram). I have had numerous e-machines in here to fix on the same problem. Most have a power supply that will take out the motherboard when a power surge from the electric company hits the computer( no power surge protection in the PS). First i would reseat everything you can that does not have to be manually taken apart. Just because the light is on on the MB does not mean the Mb has not been damaged. 6 of the 7 computers brought to me still had the motherboard light working.

If you Motherboard has been fried the good thing is you can upgrade to a MINI-ATX motherboard kit, and buy a good PS and have a very nice computer. I have rebuilt at least 7 of these by using MB-CPU combo kits from Tiger Direct. I like the cases on Emachines and all the normal hardware works on new MB's. I also like the PC Power and Cooling power supply's. Silverstones are very good also.

http://www.newegg.co...name=501 - 600W

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Please don't shout. I could hear that from the front page.

How old is the eMachines? Most of them have shelf-life of about three years before the power supply (the big grey box at the top back) cooks the main board (the big rectangular bit inside). When this happens, both of them have to be replaced. This is a very common eMachines problem which happens to pretty much all of them.

Edited by Neil Jones, 14 February 2008 - 04:58 PM.

Donutdan4114

Donutdan4114

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Did you try flicking on the power switch on the back of the computer? Thats the easiest thing to test.