Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unreal Tournament 3

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I've just borrowed Unreal Tournament 3 from a friend because it lags too much on his PC to play adequately. As usual, I run games on their default specs first, and if it runs perfectly fine I bump it up to max and work my way down until it's smooth. The game ran perfectly fine at the default settings (a little lag when I turn _really_ quickly.) I bumped it up to my PC's max (1280x1024 and all the graphics settings set to 5).

I started the campaign with these settings and the opening cinematic ran perrrfect (and AMAZING visual, by the way. Goddamn). The first stage ran mostly perfect too, but it was only a small map and one bot. On the second stage I noticed quite a bit of lag. it was still playable, but it was lagging when I turned or something. Made it really hard to snipe from a distance, I had to resort to fragging them at close range.

About halfway through the game I exited out and went to change down the resolution (I'll usually lower resolution to like 1024x768 before I start lowering the textures). When I tried to change the resolution, the screen would blank out (as it always does when changing resolution), but It never came up with the "accept these changes?" thing. So it would just stay black, and then go back to the original thing. This annoyed the [bleep] out of me and I couldn't get it to change after 30 mins of fiddling - I even tried finding the .ini file to change it :) In my anger I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. The game comes default at 800x600, so I played at that.

Even at 800x600 I still got some lag, so I lowered it to 600x480 I think it is, and set all the textures down to 1. Still a tiny bit of lag. I'm thinking this is my processor... it's kinda the worst part of my computer.

After reinstalling I was able to change the resolution, but i'd have to restart my computer before I could change it again. Any help/suggestions here?
And when stages and the main menu are loading, the game lags up really bad. When a campaign level is loading, the character you play as gives a voice over of the 'objectives' and junk. This goes fine for about half of the loading, without any glitching, but then it starts lagging up, and the loading thing stops rotating periodically, and the voice would just stop and lag up, becoming disjointed and really annoying to listen to.

Here's my PC specs:
Processor - 3.4GHz Pentium D
mobo - abit IP35-PRO
Memory - 2x1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz running in Dual Channel
video card - XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog (Not overclocked, but I might get around to it if I need to)

EDIT: Oh yeah, i'm running Windows XP Professional SP2. And have Avast Antivirus running in the background, but that wouldn't effect anything.

Edited by Seltox, 14 February 2008 - 01:20 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
first i would suggest patching it;
http://utforums.epic...ad.php?t=591638

Minimum System Requirements

• Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
• 2.0+ GHZ Single Core Processor
• 512 Mbytes of System RAM
• NVIDIA 6200+ or ATI Radeon 9600+ Video Card
• 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

Recommended System Requirements

• 2.4+ GHZ Dual Core Processor
• 1 GBytes of System RAM
• NVIDIA 7800GTX+ or ATI x1300+ Video Card
• 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

I would say that the game is challenging your processor as it is the item that is at minimum recommended specs