Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blocked site on my system

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
HI, I bought something on ebay last night but when I came to pay I could not access the Paypal site at all. I left it until today but it's just the same. I paid for the item via my other computer without a problem so it seems to be just this computer. I am using a router and this is the gateway for the other. I have had this trouble once before but found the firewall was blocking access to another site. This is a different firewall but I have found the problem is the same with it turned off. When I click on the Paypal uk link I get the 'cannot display the page message or the link below which I find odd. (there is a farm nearby but I'm not sure of the name). Any suggestions? Thanks :)

http://altfarm.media....paypal.com/uk/

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
This looks like a setting in your web browser.
If you are using Internet Explorer, please
  • Open I.E.
  • Click on Tools.
  • Select Internet Options.
  • Select Advanced.
  • Select Reset.
This will reset I.E. to the default settings.
Since you just bought this machine, the settings may have been set to a high level that blocked certain web sites.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

http://altfarm.media....paypal.com/uk/

as a note...that is NOT the paypal url...if that's the URL you're going to to try to get to paypal...then there's something fishy for sure..

mediaplex.com is an advertising site........you might want to take a trip through the malware forum with the afflicted computer to see if it's clean

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, for some reason I didn't get any mail saying someone had replied so thanks for doing so. I'm going to follow up the suggestions about malware but luckily I found the aswer whilst searching and have just logged on to leave the info as it solved my problem. It was written in another forum and I have changed it to make it a little clearer-

Use ‘Search for files and folders’ and search your ‘c’ drive for ‘hosts’. Open it in notepad. ( You may need to allow all files and folders (including system files in folder view) – I didn’t I’m just adding this as it was in the info I found.
When open in notepad / wordpad, near the bottom there should be a list of IP addresses.The only one that really needs to be there is: 127.0.0.1 localhost. Delete the rest (mine had various Paypal pages listed). No problem accessing the page then. (Still don’t know how the problem is caused though).When saving the HOSTS file, it doesn't have an extension. Hope it works for anyone that has this problem.
Thanks again,
Steve.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should still go through the malware forum....there are roughly 3 ways the hosts file would get modified. 1: if you do it yourself (which you obviously didnt 2: a firewall program or certain host file specific blockers (can't remember the name off hand) 3: malware....i'd point at malware if something like paypal (which i still don't trust the link you posted) gets into the host file