Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Retrieving data from crashed disk

• Please log in to reply

sverre

sverre

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Help me please!

my harddrive has crashed. I have now installed a new one, but have lost alot of data.
My corrupt drive is plugged to my laptop via an icy box, like an external harddisk.

The drive is partitioned into two separate disks, where one (C:) contains the programfiles, and the other (F:) the data I need to recover.

When I plug the icy box to my laptop and try to open it in "my computer", it either freezes up or nothing happens.

Can you help me figure out what I should do??

:)

S

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
by "crashed" what do you mean? can you discern if it was a physical failure or a drive corruption? if it was a physical failure (like a head crash) then you probably noticed some noise or bad smells before it died....if that's the case then there's not much YOU can do to get it fixed and you'd need to send it to a recovery firm to get the info off (big bucks)

an "old trick" is to put the drive in a zip top back and remove as much air as possible (also make sure that there is NO humidity in the bag when you seal it) then stick the drive in the freezer for an hour or so.....take the drive out and immediately hook it up and see if you can get it to start up (the lowered temperature will sometimes cause the internal workings to shrink enough to work after a physical failure)