Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How does my PC restart without me manually doing so?

• Please log in to reply

Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
First off, I'm plugged into a battery backup power supply. (I don't know if that's related or not.)

Also, I think my Windows Update may have something to do with it as well. The last couple times it's happened the yellow Windows Update icon popped up in my taskbar. I put off downloading the update because I didn't want to restart my PC. I woke up this morning and my PC was restarted without me doing so.

I seriously doubt it's a heat problem. My temps are moderate.

Is it possible that it's actually something that I can change by going into my Control panel and changing settings?

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
It could be blue screening and you have XP set to reboot after a blue screen. Check the System Event Log for messages. A flaky power supply could also cause this symptom by switching off and right back on. The battery backup would not prevent this from happening.

Edited by 98springer, 14 February 2008 - 01:24 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Something else you can do to see if your computer is bluescreening is th turn off auto reboot. One problem with windows update is that the computer will reboot after installing any updates. I want to read up on any updates before i install them as many do not apply to my computers and are unnecessary.

Open System Properties via Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System
( System Properties may also be opened using the WinKey+Pause key combination).
Select the Advanced tab and then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.
In System Failure section, clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart.
Click OK and OK to exit.

Every computer i have running is always plugged into UPS's and i have had no problems using them.

You can also disable windows update( i always do)and then manually download any updates you want.

http://www.theelderg...atic_update.htm

SRX660