Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Grr...

• Please log in to reply

astrosoup

astrosoup

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I read the article on the front page today and lol'ed, mostly because on any ordinary day I would agree with the premise of the article. I'm not in a very pro-Vista mood today however.

At the reccomendation of Windows Update I installed 9 updates on my Toshiba Satellite laptop that Vista 4had downloaded yesterday. They worked fine through this morning. About 90 minutes ago I installed 1 more update that Windows had downloaded. Now it won't boot. The computer makes it through the boot screen just fine, but Windows itself will not load. I never see a logo or anything, so whatever is going on must be happening rather early in the boot process. I let it sit for 30 minutes at black screen, until long after the computer had stopped accessing the HD. I pulled the battery out and reinserted, booted again, and still I just get a black screen when I should be getting a Vista loading screen. HD accessed for a while, then stopped. I am ready to call up Micro$oft, but I am assuming they will just tell me to re-format. I'd much rather exhaust all other options first. If anyone has any ideas for me, please do share. If any of you are considering that tenth update, make sure you really want it. I'm not sure what my conflict is, but I don't have any out of the ordinary software running on this machine.

Advertisements

astrosoup

astrosoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I found a solution, after I shut it off and tried booting it in safe mode it got stuck again. I let it sit for a while then cut the power again. After reboot- I got a new option allowing me to run a repair. The repair function scanned for awhile and asked me if I wantd to restore. I clicked yes and it picked a restore point for me and booted up just fine. It looks as if the undo option is there after all, you just have to trigger it. If this happens to you, let it freeze up in safe mode (completely freeze up, I cut power after 5 mins on my first SM try and I didn't get the repair option). After it sits frozen in SM for maybe 20 minutes, cut power and reboot. With any luck it will ask you to repair the installation.

Vista Home Premium 32 bit, btw.

I am back to not being a Vista-basher, but I still want my lunch break back.

Edited by astrosoup, 14 February 2008 - 02:48 PM.