Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot extract .exe files from .rar file

• Please log in to reply

systemX

systemX

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello!

Recently i just found out that i cannot extract any .exe file from a .rar file, it is giving me an error like Access Denied. I have included an image link to describe my problem. I tried to google the problem, however not much has been covered about it. Does anyone have an idea about this? I am facing this problem on Windows Vista Home Premium. UAC is turned off, and so is Windows Defender. Thank you for your time.

http://img515.images...81219907ea6.jpg

Edited by systemX, 14 February 2008 - 02:39 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello systemX...

What is it you're trying to extract here?

wannabe1

systemX

systemX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
just trying to extract an exe file from a rar file.. well, any exe thats packed in a rar file doesnt extract, and shows that error message in the image link i provided :) i an using winrar to try to extract the file.

Edited by systemX, 14 February 2008 - 02:52 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why are y ou extracting comodo from a rar? why did you download comodo as a rar? and where did you get comodo as a rar?

their free firewall downloads as an exe from http://www.personalf...d_firewall.html there

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I looke to me like you're trying to open an illegally obtained copy of the Vista operating system. We won't help with that or in obtaining any pirated software. Please read the Terms of Use you agreed to when you registered.

systemX

systemX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i rar-ed the comodo setup file from the xp machine just to show an example that i cant unrar exe files on vista using winrar, and no i am not trying to unrar an illegal OS.... its a comodo setup program that i rar-ed on xp and then i took it over the network to try to unrar and explain my situation here, please dont misunderstand.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
When you turn User account control off, you will get the "access denied" error.

systemX

systemX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
so i have to turn on UAC every time a rar has an exe in it? is this unavoidable in every situation involving an exe in the rar package? because if the package contains 1 exe and 5 non exe files, all 5 non exe files get extracted except the exe.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the question still remains...what EXE's are you actually trying to extract from a RAR? why not use something that's got built in compatibility like a zip?

systemX

systemX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the fact is that whatever exe file i pack into rar/zip format, it wont let me unpack it.. hfcg, i enabled UAC, and access denied still comes up.

Edited by systemX, 14 February 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I looke to me like you're trying to open an illegally obtained copy of the Vista operating system. We won't help with that or in obtaining any pirated software. Please read the Terms of Use you agreed to when you registered.

I think that Wannabe1 hit the nail on the head. Sorry.

systemX

systemX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
why dont you just visit http://www.personalf...d_firewall.html and look at the download link, the file name is the same as my image link, which is http://download.como...P_Vista_x32.exe, you telling me they are distributing illegal operating systems? .....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Why is it you are using the RAR format to begin with? Legal downloads will be available as .zip, .exe, or will be self extracting. The only use I can see for the RAR format is to use with P2P file sharing or obtaining software that is not available through a legal download.

I think this topic has run it's course. We will not help with this issue.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those downloads EXE files...not in rar format.

Why are you packing them as rar files when they are available as exe files from the site?

systemX

systemX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
wannabe1, i am just using that as an example.... is it ok with you that we just use it as an example? like i said earlier, any exe zipped/rarred, i cant unpack it, thats all.... im not using any illegal OS, im just trying to figure out why i cant unpack an exe from a rar/zip package, thats all :)