Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UGH Those Mangie Viruses!

• Please log in to reply

BeautyCochran

BeautyCochran

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have joined because my security on my computer has been breached too many times to mention. I've been beseiged by virus after virus especially Remkills and then the mean ones also but not as much. I'm getting very paranoid about this and I'm so tired of talking on the phone to India (no offense), but I only have so much energy a day and I'd rather not be spending it doing "Geek Squad Stuff". I have a post in this area regarding something I've already seen today as a matter of fact found by the lovely McAfee Rootkit Detective! UGH! :) I hate viruses! Can't stand em! :) I'd rather be doing what I love and that is Computer Graphics and Arts as a hobby. This is my question. Let's say that somehow you got on a virus hitlist? Is this possible? If so how? Thanks so very much--Mrs. Beauty Cochran/VA/USA

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
BeautyCochran, it is possible that your IP address has been posted on a hackers web site some where, yes, but it's highly unlikely as your IP address will change over time.

It's more likely that you are running software that is virus prone. Any P2P stuff like Limewire or using torrents to download.

What is your anti-virus and firewall software?
Invest in a router for it's hardware firewall protection.
Use a browser other than Internet Explorer (FireFox or Opera are good alternatives and neither supports ActiveX).

Also, a request. Please change the font and color of your posts. They are very hard to read, especially for these old eyes :)

BeautyCochran

BeautyCochran

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:) Hi Gang! Here's my most recent developements. I don't know whether I got the lead here or not, but somehow I got hip to Housecall and I did that and scanned my ports etc. Then I was led to CNET.com and read an article by a guy overthere who uses all three of these things with his regular Security Protection, he said "you can't do without all 3 these days!" So I've used one and sent that over to HP to make sure that everything I have on my computer is supposed to be there, so 1) Spyware Terminator 2) Antiver Workstation 3)Housecall Port Scanner
The only thing that Spyware Terminator was very upset about was a numbers and letters file like this:44fa86568b2189416b649120ad\SetupRes.1044.DLL. It won't let me open it even under Administrator and with System Restore off. It noted that it was probably a binary file with protection but this SetupRes.10444.dll bothers me because I looked that up and apparently it can be bad news. So I thought I'd bring this info over to you nice peeps! I've got an extra email protector and a web protector from the Spyware Terminator which I really like! :) Ok, I'll try and move that file over to where you said to, but I may just get rid of it since I have this new info. :) Love & Huggles--Beauty