Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp crashed on update

• Please log in to reply

mooseye

mooseye

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Wife ran xp update from taskbar and then tried to reboot. It would not restart. Only got the message that file windows/system32/config/system was missing or corrupted.
I couldn't boot to safe mode. Only to recovery console panel.
I was able to get to a cmnd. prompt and copy the restore point from a known good date and got it back up.
My question is, has anyone else had this problem and what caused it? Also, if you can't download from Microsoft, who can we trust. Is this a bad update?
My wife was about to reformat the drive when I caught her and had her let me take a look at it. She would have been very po'd when she discovered that the format had erased all her files and data. I imagine if this is a bad update, there are a lot of mad people about now.
I am now afraid to update anything from MS till I hear that they have fixed this or that it was caused from another problem.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi mooseye.

This was not caused by a bad update from MS. Something else happened during the update process that caused it.

It would be a good idea to run chkdsk on the boot drive to make sure there are no lingering file system problems.

Click on Start then Run, type chkdsk c: /f and press Enter. Respond Yes when asked if you want this to occur on next boot, then reboot.

mooseye

mooseye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi mooseye.

This was not caused by a bad update from MS. Something else happened during the update process that caused it.

I am going to have to disagree with you. I have seen too many posts with the same problem after doing an update.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, we can agree to disagree :)

windows/system32/config/system was missing or corrupted.

This indicates a corrupted registry. See here for options: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

mooseye

mooseye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Okay, we can agree to disagree :)

windows/system32/config/system was missing or corrupted.

This indicates a corrupted registry. See here for options: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Thanks, but I have already fixed the problem.
I agree that it is a corruption, but it has to be caused by something, and it has happened the same way to too many people after updating XP for it to be a coincidence.