Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HDD fails PC Doctor

• Please log in to reply

adqjohn

adqjohn

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
G'day all. My buddy has a HP Media Center PC M7680n with XP on it. It's past warranty. A couple of days ago it started freezing up at the startup screen. The blue bar keeps flashing but that's as far as it goes. Got into Safe Mode, tried disabling startup menu, still no go. Went to System Restore and there weren't any restore points (his bad). Did the F10 into recovery and ran the PC Doctor on the HDD. The results gave me a Fail with an "Smart short self test..error code HD521-2W". I had kinda suspected a hardware problem anyway, but what does this code actually mean (I can't find it in the HP Tech pages).

Oh, I also tried to run the recovery program and it hangs up at 42%installed. What should I do next? Thanx

Advertisements

techpro5238

techpro5238

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hello Adgjohn, :)

Can you run the diagnostic tool on the drive? Do you have a Windows XP SP2 disk? If so can you enter the Recovery Console for me and use the following command:

chkdsk /r

Please get back to us with the results of each test.

adqjohn

adqjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi TechPro, Thanx for the reply.

Yes I do have a Windows XP Pro SP2 disk of my own. I was kind of wondering earlier if that would work with the other editions of XP. If so, I will give it a try in the morning and get back to you.

techpro5238

techpro5238

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
No problems at all, here at GTG we love to give assistance :).

Some notes about using that install disk on other Windows Computers. If you are going to run a repair install of Windows please make sure that the disk matches up with your version, or you will have a hybrid Windows Installation which just creates BSoD's (Blue Screens of Death).

Just run the Recovery Console, please do not go past into the Installation or Formating screens as data may be lost. Run the above command and we will find out if the drive has some bad sectors.

Who is the manufacturer of the Hard Drive, we are working on?

adqjohn

adqjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi TP.

Here’s where I'm at tonite. I went over to my friends house this morning and he had been in Safe Mode trying to print docs and copy to CD. It wouldn’t work cuz he was in S.M., right?

He left it on and when I got there, the desktop was froze up. I rebooted it, let it go and after the bios screen, it just goes black After a few minutes the following msg. appears.

“Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select ‘r’ at the first screen to start repair.”
OK

I rebooted, tapping F8, select Safe Mode and it loads \ntoskrnl.exe, \hal.dll, \KDCOM.DLL, \BOOTVID.dll and \config\system. That’s where it stops and after a few minutes the above msg. reappears. So now I can’t get into safe mode anymore.

This machine has 2 Samsung SATA SP2504C HD’s in it (also a removable 300GB HP Personal Media Drive but I pulled that). I can get into setup and the SATA Mode is set to RAID. Both HD’s have SMART Support with an option to run an Extended Self-Test. It failed the short test yesterday, but it looks like I can test them deeper and separately this way. YeahNo?

I’m a little over my head at this point, but I am very brave haha. You were right about the install disk. The machine is (was) running XP Media Center and when I ran my XP Pro disk in it, it got as far as “windows is starting” and I got a BSOD:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to
prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears agin, follow
these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed
hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive
to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then
restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

So I was not able to run chkdsk /r. At this point I will wait for some words of wisdom. Thanx for your time.

techpro5238

techpro5238

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Your computer is getting tougher and tougher isn't it :). Never the less I will assist you with only the best help.

Start up your computer by either tapping the F1, F2, F4, F6, F8, F10, F11, F12, or Delete keys to access the systems BIOS. For the exact information on what key to start up the System BIOS refer back to Original Manufacturer System Documentation.

After getting into the BIOS, look for a page that would have something like, eg. PC Health Screen or System Monitoring Page. When you have found a page similar to this post back what the BIOS says for your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds.

--------------------------

Personally, I am starting to think this is the Hard Drive. Go here and follow the steps to download the troubleshooting software for your two drives:

http://www.samsung.c...iskManager.html

Then burn it to a disk and boot it up from it. Run this test, and tell me the results when it's done. Just as a note run the Full Test on your drive.

Edited by techpro5238, 15 February 2008 - 10:24 PM.

adqjohn

adqjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I was away for a bit. Tried all the keys, F1 takes me to the Phoenix-AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility. The Main screen starts off with the time, date, and lists the drives and memory. Can't find a menu page that has any sort of monitoring option. Should it be here?

adqjohn

adqjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Just saw your last note. You mean run the Extended Self Test, right? I am on my way to download the T/S file.

adqjohn

adqjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I'm baaaacck

I ran the SMART Extended self test (from the bios) on both drives separately. The test is supposed to take approx 82 min. and Disk One failed immediately. Disk Two ran the full length and passed w/no errors. Disk One said: "Status value 7, failed the read portion of the test". ???

I did as TechPro suggested and downloaded the Hutil.exe from Samsung to a bootable floppy. The computer boots into the program but then the auto detection comes up blank, with no drives listed. Could this be my floppy or signs of something more sinister? They also have a download for a CD-ROM, but it's an .iso file and I don't know how to convert (?) that.

http://www.samsung.c...port_HUTIL.html

Any suggestions at this point will be welcomed.

techpro5238

techpro5238

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Usually SMART tests, never show anything but when they do that means the disk is dead. I'd give up on that drive and throw it into the trash. Do you have any data you need off of it. I can help you get your data back if necessary?

adqjohn

adqjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi T.P.

OK, that's what I expected was gonna happen. I guess I can swap the #2 blank drive into the #1 position. The question is, will this thing work with just one HDD or does it have to have two drives? I don't see any master/slave kinda jumpers. This SATA stuff is all new to me. Jeez this is a fun one but I guess I gotta find out sooner or later.

I have a USB to IDE/SATA adapter and was able to get all the personal data backed up thru my laptop before I tried the Hutil (I read that it can be destructive).

THIS AIN'T OVER YET........hohoho

Thanx :)