Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp format

• Please log in to reply

bladez182

bladez182

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i have a new computer, and i installed a burnt copy of windows xp on it. I want to format my hard drive and get rid of this version of xp and install my valid copy of windows ME. How can i do this? I only have the burnt xp cd.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

i have a new computer, and i installed a burnt copy of windows xp on it. I want to format my hard drive and get rid of this version of xp and install my valid copy of windows ME. How can i do this? I only have the burnt xp cd.

View Post

You said you have your legit version of ME right??

Use your WinME boot floppy (get one from www.bootdisk.com if you have to) and boot your system with the floppy in a: drive..

When you get to a:> prompt, type if fdisk and press enter.. use the option to delete all non-dos partitions.. Then, delete all partitions.. Re-boot back into fdisk and use the option to set a Primary DOS partition (say YES to all questions).. Once the partition is set, format it and then you can install ME..

Murray