Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

inf1n1t3

inf1n1t3

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm interested in upgrading my video card. I'm pretty sure I'm running an nvidia GeForce 6150 and I'm not sure where to go from here. Secondly, is it worth it. Will I even see some sort of improvement in terms of flow between windows and what not?

Advertisements

Maulanator3

Maulanator3

• Pip
  • 4 posts
How much are you willing to spend?

What does your computer consist of (mother board, processor, ram, etc.)?

inf1n1t3

inf1n1t3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Price isn't really a factor, I'm not necessarily purchasing it tomorrow and like my current processor. I'm just wondering if performance-wise, upgrading would be wise. I'm already experiencing a large amount of heat from my fan as it supports a AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 / 1.8 GHz processor. I have 4 GB of RAM and I'm not positive what motherboard I am using, I'll figure that out a little later today.

Thanks for the fast responses so far!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

Is this computer a notebook (laptop)? I ask as you have written "Mobile Technology" in the processor description. Generally notebook video cards are not upgradeable. A select few out there are, but it's very expensive and not worth the gain.

Upgrading your video card will only give a performance boost in 3D applications, such as gaming. I don't think this will help the "flow between windows".

You can figure out what components are in a system by downloading Everest Home Edition, a very handy utility.

Cheers

Troy

inf1n1t3

inf1n1t3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Always a help, thanks Troy.

I'm going to pass on the processor upgrade because as you mentioned, the performance gained is more in 3D gaming applications. I think I may use the money for a larger hard drive. Thanks for the recommendation on the software, big help!