Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up a networked printer

• Please log in to reply

paradien

paradien

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
hey, im new when it comes to setting a network printer, i thought i may of had it when i made this pc with the printer "share" the printer, i set up the work group , network through a gateway, etc. When i try to add the network on the other pc through the wizard i get to the point of printer name and list of shared printers, i see the group i made, but i keep getting this(Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help) no matter what ive done. If this matters no printer software has been put on this other pc.

Advertisements

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
you need to install the drivers of the Printer in the computer where you're trying to access the printer remotely.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

umm well these tuts look good except for the print share, those expamples look like a older version of xp. The directory on my xp is different from his. steps 19 and 20 are the only ones diff to mine

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Any hows i sorta have it going , one problem remains tho, i can only do it when the firewall is off, i use Zone alarm pro, and im trying to figure this out, i have to open port 137 to do it, i get a block warning from it with the ip of the set up.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
bump

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you have to enable file/print sharing in any and all firewalls on all of the computers in the network for this to work...i don't have zone alarm to give you instructions....but i'm pretty sure it's in the help file

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
try to ping the ip address of the PRINTER, if it says request timed out that means a something is blocking it.

Edited by wytboy55, 27 February 2008 - 11:57 AM.