Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lights across the globe

• Please log in to reply

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
While doing my homework, (topic is on something in Japan) I ended up playing around with another feature of google earth...

check out the lights across the globe - satellite images at night.. pretty cool

Lot of lights in the States

Posted Image

the UK and Europe is well lit

Posted Image

China and Japan are not in the dark, but Australia is

Posted Image

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Cool! :) I'll check to see if I can fetch a local photo :)

*Google Earth playing time ON*

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Cool! :) I'll check to see if I can fetch a local photo :)

*Google Earth playing time ON*

Landlord will get no sleep tonight,once you start searching with Google Earth,you can't stop!I know only to well :)

]EDITED so no one will drop something on my head :)

home sweet home

Edited by zorba the geek, 17 February 2008 - 11:51 AM.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Yeah, it's very addicting. Last time my mother got addicted and I took her around for a tour :) Nice house there, zorba :)

Ooh, there's a cool game we can play with Google Maps *goes to Jokes & Games*

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
View of my town,, my home (red + ) and school (ICC)

Posted Image

home. I live on a storage business lot. I get paid to live there - security.

Posted Image

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

home sweet home

Oh dear, someone has vandalised your roof with a big red X! Zorba, this is in need of repair immediately! :)

Interesting though, that you would give away your exact location on the internet? I would think to not mark your exact house, as the cursor locations are included in the picture? Just a thought...

Troy

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I'd give you a photo of my house, but you can't see anything where I live because of the low resolution (censorship) :)

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Wow that indigo ring around the Earth is pretty =S

Heh, I used google to find my house once too, and I found it the images were hella old cause it showed my car at the high school (a 67 gto is easily noticed, especially mine since the hood was black) after I had graduated like a year ago. heh.

Still cool though.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

home sweet home

Oh dear, someone has vandalised your roof with a big red X! Zorba, this is in need of repair immediately! :)

Interesting though, that you would give away your exact location on the internet? I would think to not mark your exact house, as the cursor locations are included in the picture? Just a thought...

Troy

Hi Troy,took your advise and marked all the houses with a red "X" :)

BTW:It's great to see you as a tech again :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Hi Troy,took your advise and marked all the houses with a red "X" :)

Hey, that wasn't my advice - so you're the graffiti bandit! Actually I was referring to your picture, and no - only the one house still has a red X :)

BTW:It's great to see you as a tech again :)

Thanks, it's really good to be back! I've been a very good boy this time, working on my logs :)

Cheers

Troy

Advertisements

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
:) fixed

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:)

So what's with the big red X in somebody's front lawn? I don't think they're gonna appreciate that! :)

Looks much better, now I just have to remember which one it was...

*troy loads his rocket launcher and sets the coordinates...

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Just a note to all of you that like google earth, and other sites that provide images and maps. Zorba did a good thing with removing the image he posted.

WOW!Makes you think,doesent it?Thank god,i'm not running for President!So,when are you comming for coffee?

From zorba the geek in reference to his address. Not a good idea to put too much personal information on the internet.

I think I was close to his address, if not right on. Took about 4 minutes to get it. For me, it makes no difference if someone knows where I am, I believe that I have enough personal protection at hand to ensure the saftey of myself and family. But why take a chance with advertising where you live?

BTW, I checked my home address on Google and it shows a up close and personal picture of my house with the kids bikes on the driveway :) :) :)
There is no way to keep public information off the net, just try not to give up clues that will open the door to that :)

Harry

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
harrythook is right,it's not a good idea!Not even in a forum like Geeks to go!It's easy to forget that the web is open to everybody!Thanks harry to point this out!

Btw:The offer for the coffee still stands

cheers
zorba

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Anyone who wants to come visit me, I welcome you.