Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help With Picking Out A Wirless Card For PC?

• Please log in to reply

dcloud

dcloud

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hopefully you guys can help me, because I don't know squat about this. I just built a new PC and I want to give my old one to my mom to use (ASUS P4P800, P4 2.4GHz, Windows XP Home). This will be put in a room just off the living room in their house. In my niece's bedroom (which is one room away) she has a Linksys router (I believe it's a WRT54G). My niece has agreed to set everything up herself because she doesn't want anyone messing with her computer. Fine. Whatever. Less headaches for me.

My dilemma is in choosing a wireless card for the PC. What do I need for this? I started looking around but the terminology has me completely lost. There will be a wall between the room the PC is in and my niece's router. Will that be an issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I guess no one knows anything about wireless here, eh?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
virtually any wireless card would be fine...i tend to stick closer to linksys or netgear as i trust their equipment better...given that you've already got a linksys router...you should probably stick with a linksys wireless card for the computer....any of their standard A,B,G cards should be sufficient....i'd stay away from the N cards as you won't get any benefit from them

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks for the reply, dsenette :)

You mean something like this? It doesn't get the greatest reviews, not like this Edimax card.