Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network File Sharing

• Please log in to reply

Shyla

Shyla

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have a desktop PC running XP, a wireless network with a laptop running Vista.

What we are wondering is this:

If I have a dvd, and I upload it to my desktop, is there something I can do so that my daughter (using the laptop) can watch it?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When you say "upload it to my desktop", what do you mean? Are you saying you will copy everything from the DVD to your Desktop (which is really a folder)? That is not as easy as it sounds, due to DRM (Digital Rights Management). You will need to find software that will rip the data from the DVD to your hard drive.

An easier solution would be to share your DVD drive with her. Google provides a lot of hits when I searched on file sharing xp vista. They should help you setup sharing. If you have problems, please post back here and we'll try to help.

Tw33k

Tw33k

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You can google "rip a DVD" and see the first few results. I personally use AnyDVD and CloneDVD to backup my own DVD's. There are, however, free programs available. One such program is DVD Decrypter. But, I do agree with Ztruker's idea of sharing the drive.

Edited by Tw33k, 15 February 2008 - 05:10 PM.

Shyla

Shyla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well its not exactly copyrighted movies on DVD, they are more like homemade band competitions burned on disks. I borrowed the disk, copied the disk to my desktop, and she wants to be able to watch it on her lap top. I no longer have the disk, otherwise I would just give her the disk to put in her laptop. I understand there are many options, sending her the whole file, uploading to a jump drive and giving her that to use..... but we are just wondering if there is a way she can just watch them from my desktop instead, since I have dozens and dozens saved. The laptop is slow enough as it is, I would like to keep from uploading any more junk to it if possible.

Tw33k

Tw33k

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Sure! You just need a media player that can work with IFO/VOB/BUP files such as Micro DVD Player 1.2. I have not used this program personally, so I can't vouch for it. I personally use InterVideo's WinDVD 8. There are other alternatives out there as well.

Edited by Tw33k, 15 February 2008 - 06:35 PM.

Shyla

Shyla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I must not be making myself clear. I don't understand how to use the laptop to get to the actual file that is on the desktop computer.
I understand there are programs that let you view DVD/movies/etc. I don't know how to set up my computer to share files or to get to files on the opposite computer.

Tw33k

Tw33k

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Did you see Ztruker's link above?

Shyla

Shyla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Uh.... yes, I did. Lol.

If I could find something on Google that even related to my situation or that I could understand, I wouldn't be there.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Shyla, 15 February 2008 - 06:48 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Shyla, what I was trying to say, and apparently failing miserably :), was to setup your computers so you can share files. Then your daughter simply use My Computer or Windows Explore or My Network Places to browse your computer and open the movies she wants to watch.

That's what the Google link I gave you yields, ways to setup file sharing between XP and Vista.

Shyla

Shyla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have scoured these articles on google. For example, the very first one at the link you gave me.....

"Microsoft® Windows Vista™ has made some important changes to the way that file and printer sharing works. This article describes the changes and provides step-by-step instructions for sharing files and printers and connecting to shared files and printers from a computer running Windows Vista for a small-office or home office network that does not use the Active Directory® domain service.

This article is designed for IT professionals and experienced users that are familiar with file and printer sharing in Windows......"

The second one is an "Annoyance forum" with hundreds of threads basically 'complaining' about it.

The third one is a forum where someone asks a question about his computers not being able to 'see' each other, with 20 responses of "this is why Vista sucks" basically.

the fourth one tells me I need to edit the registry for this to work. Then another one answers that this is wrong and you can't do this unless you have a patch installed from Microsoft.

No offense, but that is why I came here. Just because there are a lot of returns with Google, doesnt mean you wont spend weeks looking through them trying to find ONE that is even accurate.

But thanks anyway, I will keep looking.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
right click the folder you wish to share, (you said that you do not have the disc? Then it must be in a folder)
Select share, and select everyone.
Otherwise I believe that Ztruker's advice should offer a solution.

Shyla

Shyla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
When I right click, there is no "share" option.

There is:

Open
Add to Sync List
Add to Burn List
Add to Now Playing List
Add to Playlist...
Play with Media Player
-------------------------
Nod32 Antivirus system
Open with
Add to Archive(rar)
Compress and email(rar)
WinZip
Send to (drivers)
Cut
Copy
Create Shortcut
Delete
Rename
Properties

It's ok. I will figure it out. Thanks though. I see the 'similar' posts that show at the bottom of the page that relate to this subject were mostly never answered either, so I think this may be more difficult than seems.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Which computer are you doing this on? The XP one or the Vista one? Is the XP one Home or Pro? If Pro, disable Simple File Sharing. See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

You may also need the following if you want Vista to see files on the XP system: Link Layer Topology Discovery

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I see the 'similar' posts that show at the bottom of the page that relate to this subject were mostly never answered either, so I think this may be more difficult than seems

This is because the topic borders on piracy, which we frown on. You have been getting help on the assumption that this is a home movie.
So the answer that you should transfer this home movie to your daughters laptop is realy the best solution!
Any one else can see this thread and use the information for illegal purposes.

Edited by hfcg, 16 February 2008 - 07:47 AM.

Shyla

Shyla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I see the 'similar' posts that show at the bottom of the page that relate to this subject were mostly never answered either, so I think this may be more difficult than seems

This is because the topic borders on piracy, which we frown on. You have been getting help on the assumption that this is a home movie.
So the answer that you should transfer this home movie to your daughters laptop is realy the best solution!
Any one else can see this thread and use the information for illegal purposes.

That is absolutely ridiculous. The issue here is setting up a home network CORRECTLY, not setting it up in a "special" way to do something illegal.
I also have a wireless printer I need to add to the wireless network and until I get this fixed, that wont work either. So if you are telling me that you know the answer, but you can't reveal it because it might allow illegal activity, when it is simply wanting my home network set up CORRECTLY, maybe you could save the time and either answer:
1. We wont tell you because technically having your home network set up the way it should be would allow you to possibly do something illegal if you ever wanted to....
or...
2. Delete the questions instead of leaving them all unanswered.

Edited by Shyla, 16 February 2008 - 12:18 PM.