Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trend Icon in MSN Email.

• Please log in to reply

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey Hey, IE7

Can i just uninstall and then re-install or is there another way?

Edited by AQUA258, 17 February 2008 - 05:57 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, you can uninstall IE7 then reboot.

To uninstall IE7, open Add or Remove Programs. Check the "Show updates" box at the top. Scroll down to Windows Internet Explorer 7 and remove it. When done, you should have IE6 back.

Reboot then see if the problem occurs with IE6. If not, you can reinstall IE7.

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey hey, uninstalled IE7.....IE6 would not even open windows so i used firefox to re-install IE7. WORKS GREAT. I'm feelin pretty normal right now. (Definition of normal...??????) LOL.

OK, Lets kill the TREND ICONS!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does Trend show up anywhere besides Security Center?

Do you have any AV software installed now? If not, you really need one and I believe installing one will resolve the Security Center problem.

You can reinstall Trend or switch to AVG Free.

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
YES, trend is in security, control panel (Not in where you add/remove but the page before where it displays all icons) and in windows mail.

I am still running Avast (cos it has the boot scan, thats what found all the trojans). D/loaded that as soon as i couldnt start trend.

Edited by AQUA258, 18 February 2008 - 02:36 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Any chance you can post some pictures of the places Trend still appears. See here for info: http://www.geekstogo...st-t185663.html

Also, what is windows mail?

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
trying to upload but this is what im getting

" Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file" (word)???????????

Some attempts later; and im getting " You did not select a file to upload" (wordpad)??????

Will keep trying!!

Edited by AQUA258, 19 February 2008 - 12:11 AM.

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Woo Hoo, Finally got it right. I did look at the preview and it looks like its good to go??

G2G_1.jpg

Cpanel.jpg

G2G_2.jpg

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How did you make them so small? I can't make out anything, sorry. I even tried saving them and enlarging on my computer but then they get so pixelated they are still unreadable.

I'm going to ask you to expend a few more words (you seem to like to hold on to them :) ) and be more descriptive of where the Trend icons still show.

You said security, does that mean Security Center, and if so where in Security Center? Is it when you click on the words Virus Protection and get the drop down. For instance, on my computer, when I click there I see info about AVG 7.5.516. See below.

You also said you see Trend in windows mail. What exactly is windows mail? Is it Outlook or Outlook Express or are you talking about web based mail? Need ore specific information.

Mean time I'll see what I can find on AV showing up in Security Center when the AV software is no longer installed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, for Security Center, found this: http://www.dslreport...=9999~start=140

I found the answer! The problem was with Windows Management Instrumentation and the fact that its database was now incorrect. To fix this, I had to (1) stop the WMI Service, (2) delete the "repository" folder in C:\windows\system32\wbem, and (3) start the WMI Service. Starting the service rebuilds the deleted folder and the database. Once I restarted my system, Windows Security Center no longer showed McAfee Firewall as running.

This is the most likely cause with Trend Micro PC-cilian as well.

Edited by Ztruker, 19 February 2008 - 07:54 AM.

Advertisements

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
see on yours, the last row of writing. compare that to mine and youll see that the bottom row first icon is Trend. will try and upsize the pics

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Sorry, we must have both been replying at same time. Didnt see this till just now. Can you give me step for step intro on how to do this. Please. Like where do i stop the WMI?

I found the answer! The problem was with Windows Management Instrumentation and the fact that its database was now incorrect. To fix this, I had to (1) stop the WMI Service, (2) delete the "repository" folder in C:\windows\system32\wbem, and (3) start the WMI Service. Starting the service rebuilds the deleted folder and the database. Once I restarted my system, Windows Security Center no longer showed McAfee Firewall as running.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sure thing, should have done that to start with, sorry.
  • Click on Start then Run, type services.msc and press Enter or click OK.
  • Click on the Standard tab at the bottom.
  • Click and hold the left mouse button on the divider line between Name and Description column headings, and drag it to the right so you can see the full name of the services shown.
  • Scroll down till you see Windows Management Instrumentation. This is the WMI I mentioned.
  • Right click on it and select Stop.
  • Leave the Services window open.
  • Open My Computer and navigate to C:\windows\system32\wbem.
  • Delete the Repository folder.
  • Close My Computer
  • In the Services window, right click on WMI again and select Start.
  • Close the Services window
  • Reboot your computer
Security Center should be correct now.

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey, it doesnt matter when we should have done this, we're doing it now and i appreciate your help.

Have done what you said.

This is just WRONG on all levels. The @#@*% thing is still there. Geez, what did those viruses do? Go around and stick everything down with Super Glue? Normaly you worry about deleting stuff cos its so easy to do BUT this is just not even funny any more.

Just in case it helps; the icons in Security and Cpanel do not have "delete" option ONLY "open....create shortcut. "Open" does nothing but it can/does create a shortcut.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, see if you can provide a larger picture (or pictuires) please. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.