Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2003 vs 2007?

• Please log in to reply

jtg22

jtg22

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I currently have a computer with office 2003 and will be buying a new computer very soon. The new computer will have vista as its OS. Basically, will there be any incompatibility problems between documents from my current computer and my new computer if the new computer uses 2007?

Assuming I do have to upgrade my old computer, will I need to buy an additional copy of office for it? Since it uses XP, would there be any compatibility issues there?

I'm sorry if these are somewhat idiotic questions. I'm really not familiar with the differences between XP and Vista or the two offices.

thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there are no problems with documents that are in 2003 format being opened on an office 2007 computer....however there are issues with opening 2007 documents in office 2003....to get around this you just have to save your files in the 2003 format within 2007...or set the 2003 format as default

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

there are no problems with documents that are in 2003 format being opened on an office 2007 computer....however there are issues with opening 2007 documents in office 2003....to get around this you just have to save your files in the 2003 format within 2007...or set the 2003 format as default

Not necessary.
Just download and install this onto computers running Office 2003 and it can see and play with Office 2007 documents easily.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923505