Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista vs XP router war

• Please log in to reply

prewski

prewski

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi all

I am having a nightmare setting up a new wireless router (Buffalo Airstation WHR-G54S) connecting to virgin media modem. All is plugged in ok and i have a laptop running xp connected to the net through the router but the Vista laptop is another thing.

It appears as though the vista laptop is connecting to the router but there is a red x on the network map between the router and the net. When clicked on it has the following choices displayed "plug a cable in to the network adapter", "automatially get new ip settings" or "a problem with your network or broadband modem might be preventing an internet connection".

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am losing face with my folks as the go to guy for computer problems.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Prewski

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
The first thing you can check is the cable. Just unplug the cable that is connected to your XP laptop and plug it into the Vista laptop. If it works, then the problem is the cable you were using.

If that doesn't work, make sure that the network adapter is enabled on the Vista computer. You can do that by opening up the control panel, go into "Network and Internet", then go into "Network and Sharing Center", then on the left hand side, click on "Manage Networ Connections". If "Local Area Connection" is greyed out, then the adapter is disabled.

You can also check for a static IP while in that same area, right click on "Local Area Connection" and go to properties. When the next window appears, find "Internet Protocol Version 4", highlight it and then click the Properties button. When the next window appears, make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS servers automatically" are both checked.

Let me know the results.

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi again

Sorry I forgot to mention its wireless :) Its driving me nuts.

I have looked on th elocal area connection on the vista and it says the adapter is not connected. I just find it strange that the XP picked it up in a second while old vista is not able to get out.

Thanks so far and hope we can get it all sorted soon.

Prewski

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
what internet service do you have? is that a cable ? dsl ? or satellite ? if this is the first time setup, you will need to enter informations in your router. Like PPPOE address or STATIC ADDRESS..

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
its a virgin media cable modem.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Oh! IC, so that means you are using a cable internet connection right?

The red x beetween the router and the net only indicates that the router and the modem is not communicating properly.
What are the lights lit up on your modem and router? post it here, also make sure that the modem is connected to the INTERNET PORT or PHONE PORT on the ROUTER and not in the PORT THAT"s for ETHERNET or the PORT that has numbers.

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
But i know that the router and modem are talking because th xp machine is running off of it now? Its confusing to say the least.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
wytboy55, the problem is between vista and the router. In his previous post, he indicated that his XP laptop was working fine, which means the modem to router is working ok.

Also, the indicator in Vista with the "red x" only indicates that Vista can not reach the Internet, which could mean there is a problem any where from the vista machine to the Internet itself.

prewski, I apologize that I did not see your previous post.

Can you do those same actions with the Wireless Network Connection in place of the Local Network Connection.

Also, do you have any wirelss encryption setup? Such as WEP, WPA, etc?

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 15 February 2008 - 02:45 PM.

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have looked on the local area connection on the vista laptop and it says the adapter is not connected

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I'm sorry, I meant the Wirless Area Connection.

Advertisements

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
both the auto detects are on.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Go to the network applet in the system tray (where the clock is). You should see an icon with two little computers. Left click once on that icon and a little menu will pop up, in that menu, click "Connect to a network". It should bring up a list of wireless networks available to you.

Do you see your wireless network in that list?

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 15 February 2008 - 03:00 PM.

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yeah it appears there and says its connected but still the big red x!

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Go to the start menu and in the search box, type "cmd" and then hit enter. A black window will appear. In that window, type "ipconfig" and hit enter. Look for something called IP Address under Wirless Area Connection and post that back here.

Thanks.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Gravity Gripp, i sorry maybe it's just a misunderstanding, maybe i had mistake in reading the post. What i thought is XP is not communicating as well. And he only mentioned that "all are plugged in ok" he didnt mention he that he is able to connect to the internet on the XP.

Anyway prewski, if you post the ipconfig results that will help us better. post it here.

If your using VISTA you're suppose to look for IPv4 ADDRESS instead of IP address alone.

Edited by wytboy55, 15 February 2008 - 03:19 PM.