Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista vs XP router war

• Please log in to reply

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i have a IPv4 Address entrywhich is 169.254.87.223. any help

Advertisements

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
if you have a 169.254.x.x IP address, that means you are not getting a valid ip address from the router.
169.254.x.x is a special type of IP address, this is an IP address generating by windows itself if your not getting any ip address from the router.

Try doing these steps:

click start > type CMD on start search and press enter > on the black screen window type
ipconfig /release . wait for a reply. After doing it's thing. Proceed to the next line and
start typing ipconfig /renew, after a while it will display a new ipv4 address. you should get other
ipv4 address other than 169, if not we are gonna proceed with another troubleshooting.

Edited by wytboy55, 15 February 2008 - 03:46 PM.

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
the release said "the requested operation requires elevation but the renew came back with unable to contact DHCP server.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
there are a lot of things to consider here for troubleshooting. If you have an ethernet cable, try connecting the computer using a wired connection first. For us to isolate the problem. If your computer connects using ethernet the we can isolate the problems and solutions.

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Done that. Says connected to local area but again no outside connection.

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Will be offline untill 8pm GMT. Appreciate the help so far and hope you can help me solve it then.

Thank you
Prewski

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Done that. Says connected to local area but again no outside connection.

prewski

prewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Please close now. I have sent it back and will get a new router. Common problem with the buffalo apparently. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

Prewski

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
You're welcome. I hope this problem is fixed.