Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major startup problems

• Please log in to reply

rhduke

rhduke

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey, I have a laptop: Compaq: Presario V3000, Windows XP, AMD Turion 64 processor
The problem started after I just shutdown my laptop a month ago. When I went to start it back up, the lights would turn on, but the screen was totally black. I reset it and reinserted the battery a couple of times but the result would be the same. I took it to a couple of shops, and by no surprise they didnt want to fix it, "It would cost you too much... its fried.." (my warrenty was over).

While it sat under a pile of clothes in my room, i decided to try to turn it on again. And wut do u know.. it turned on and worked perfectly fine! I shut it off, but when i tried to turn it back on... black screen. SO I reset it again, ... and it worked! A pattern seemed to arise... black screen -> Compaq startup -> black screen -> Compaq startup... Fairly odd, but the problem is, 9 out of 10 times the Compaq startup would freeze.. and i would have to restart 2 more times (in the Compaq screen, I would still be able to go to startup options, just wouldnt go through to windows startup).

Whenever it would go from Compaq startup to Windows startup, I would almost scream for joy.. :) . The laptop works perfectly fine when working properly, but the problem just seems to be on startup.. Any ideas what the problem may be?

(sorry for the story, its hard for me to explain the problem without it) Thanks.. :)

Edited by rhduke, 15 February 2008 - 12:19 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
What you are describing could be a few different things.
Did the service shop give you any explanations?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would say the PSU (Power supply), hard drive or memory (RAM) is going bad. Most likely is the PSU.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Maybe a swollen cap that is not charging/discharging properly.
That would explain the expensive repair ($199.00 to $288.51 plus s&h).
If it is your motherboard you have to decide if it is worth a $300.00+ repair.

rhduke

rhduke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The salespeople said it was my motherboard or somthing about my cd drive. But at that time, it wasnt even turning on at all. Ive also recently noticed that my battery doesnt charge anymore, as soon as I turn off the electricity, so follows my laptop power. If this is the source of the problem is it the actually battery or the power bar thats malfunctioning?

quote: If it is your motherboard you have to decide if it is worth a $300.00+ repair.

definately not worth the $300 repair... man i hate the way warrenties work :)

Edited by rhduke, 16 February 2008 - 01:41 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You can look around for the same make of computer, but with a bad display (the most expensive part) and swap out the motherboard. (or display if you like).
Do not pay too much for a laptop that has a bad display, it is a parts only laptop. (E-bay is a good place to start, Do you have computer salvage type stores in your area?)

rhduke

rhduke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yea theres quite a few here in this small town. Your saying i should look for a cheap laptop with a workin screen and swap in my motherboard?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Or one with a broken screen and swap the screen. (much easier than swapping a motherboard, I will walk you through it step be simple step.)

rhduke

rhduke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
really? thanks alot, ill try looking for one this weekend. but im not really 100% sure what the problem really is.. ill have to take it to a shop first i guess

Edited by rhduke, 16 February 2008 - 07:28 PM.