Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG Free Update Manager

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hello everyone,

I have seen many people post a complaint about the AVG Free anti-virus needing a reboot daily after update and there are many fixes for it. This is not what is happening to me, but it is similar.

Everyday, when I start my machine for the first time, the AVG System Tray icon is gray and it says I need to update the Update Manager. This is rather annoying because I have to do it manually each time. I understand that new virus definitions come out everyday, which I am fine with since it does that automatically. But, that's not the problem. The problem is the Update Manager requires this update everyday (which seems odd to me.....).

I have tried going into the settings. I have deleted the "Update Temporary Files". I have tried every setting in the Properties window as well. Update upon computer restart, Update computer Immediately, Require Confirmation from user, Restart Immediately, and Complete at next computer restart. Nothing fixes the problem. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled under the "Run as Administrator" setting for Vista.

Again, it is not asking me to re-boot the computer, for which I have found many people ask about that and they get it resolved. It's just asking me to manually update "Update Manager" daily. I wouldn't mind if it just updated everything automatically. It updates the virus definitions automatically, so why not the Update Manager?

Anyone else come across this?

BTW: the only reason why I am posting here is because I had a lot of difficulties with the AVG Free Forum registration.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hi there,

It might help if you download the most current version of AVG, uninstall your current version, and then install the newest version.

Let me know if this helps,

Ax

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Tried it. Still does it. :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Make sure your system clock has the correct time, as this sometimes can cause issues.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
My system clock has the right time.

I have given up. I have switched to avast antivirus solution. So, I didn't really solve my problem, I just got rid of it. :)

Thanks for your help though.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Thanks for letting us know.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
If you would like to use it again, I would recommend disabling the service currently and allowing it to run again by manual intervention, or just update every once in a while. To disable the service go to "Start" "Run" and type "msconfig"

Go to the "Services" tab and select "Hide all Microsoft Services." Scroll throughout and find the AVG Auto Update service and uncheck it. You will need administrative privileges to apply such. Now, you can manually update in the AVG application occasionally, or just disable the service to run on startup by going to the "Startup" tab and unchecking it.