Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

wireless router and computer problems please help

• Please log in to reply

lucifer incestus

lucifer incestus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok so this is my problem...
i bought the linksys wrt150 wireless router so i can go wirelessly with my hp pavillion dv6408nr this notebook has the wireless card if u will built into it so one assumes it will pick up any wireless signals ok so i set up my router with this notebook everthing i guess went fine i can go online but only with the ethernet wire once i take it off it loses connection to the internet but when i try to go wirelessly it wont connect to the linksys signal its giving off it picks it up but says it wnt connect once i plug it back in with the ethernet everything is fine ihave the wireless assistant turned on and everything. when i go to the command prompt and type ipconfig/all it says wlan media state ........ media disconnected i really need answers plz!! thank you.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
While you have the ethernet cable unplugged, go to the network applet in the system tray (where the clock is). You should see an icon with two little computers. Left click once on that icon and a little menu will pop up, in that menu, click "Connect to a network". It should bring up a list of wireless networks avaiable to you. Find yours in the list (probably the one with the strongest signal) and double click on it. If you have any sort of wireless encryption, it will ask you for a key. Enter the key if present, and then hit OK. At this point, you should be connected.

Let me know if you have any problems and Welcome to Geeks-To-Go.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 15 February 2008 - 02:58 PM.