Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs list won't show up, recycle bin missing...

• Please log in to reply

pmpntnnsplyr

pmpntnnsplyr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a lot of problems with my computer and I'm not exactly sure why. I might have had a virus or something on it...
But anyway, my programs list won't show up, but I can pull up the start menu. My recycling bin went missing from my desktop, too. My computer no longer allows me to search for things and certain programs won't work because it says it cannot find the file. Because of this, I can't uninstall these programs and reinstall them because my computer can't find the program files to uninstall them. I'm sure there are other problems, but these are just the ones bugging me at the moment! Can anyone help me with this or know what's wrong?
Thanks

Advertisements

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I suggest you run sfc following the steps below.

After the scan you will not see a report on your desktop, so if your computer is not running any better, please go to this LINK and follow for additional help.

kind regards,

Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.

Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack - SP1 when SP2 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.

Edited by tallin, 15 February 2008 - 06:34 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If that doesn't help, your suspicion of a possible virus may be correct.

Read through this area: Cleanup Your System.

This takes care of the many of the problems without further action by the Malware Gurus on this site.

If this doesn't do it, post a HijackThis log here: Malware Removal Forum.

Make sure you read the You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log article before posting.

Please be patient, this is a very active anti-malware site and the malware removal experts are extremely busy. It can take 1 to 3 days for them to get to you.