Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac OSX Leopard + Windows XP with Maxtor 120 gb OneTouch III Mini Edit

• Please log in to reply

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hey fellow geeks,

I recently bought a MacBook, and I love it. However, I have been on windows all my life so I am not very familiar with compability issues especially when it comes to hardware. I heard that formats like FAT32 will work on both Mac and PC and Mac will only read NTFS from OSX 10.4 onwards I believe.

My question is this:

The external hard drive I bought is unformatted and just 120 gigabytes...what will I need to do to make it cross-platform? Ideally I would like to be able to put two folders: MAC and WIN in the root and go on from there, but I doubt that it will be possible lol...

Thanks!

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, you are correct in saying that NTFS is window's baby, fat32 works as a cross platform here

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Thanks for the reply...So what do I have to do to make it work?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry, I don't know about macs, so I can't help for sure but I would go down the create a fat32 partition idea but I wouldn't know how to mount the drive from mac here, someone else please...