Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive keeps Shrinking

• Please log in to reply

muaythai2

muaythai2

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
The Pc im haveing this problem with is not connected to the internet , and I havent installed anything new on it . Yet my hard drive continues to fill up by several Gigabytes

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There are 2 problems with Vista and they both are related to the system restore. Heres one answer from another forum.

[QUOTE]1. Click the start menu
2. Click on All Programs, and then Accessories
3. From the accessories menu, right click on Command Prompt and select “run as administrator”
4. Type “vssadmin list shadowstorage” into the command prompt
5. The results should tell you the amount of storage used and the maximum amount alloted

If you’re not happy with those numbers, here’s how to resize them. Keep in mind, you will lose some older system restore points when you do this.

1. Repeat steps 1-3 to get bring up the Command Prompt
2. Type “vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=[your hard disk]: /On=[your hard disk]: /MaxSize=[how much space you want to allocate]”
3. For example: “vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=2GB”
4. You should get a message saying Successfully resized the shadow copy storage association, and you should have more free space on your hard drive.

from

http://keznews.com/2..._System_Restore

I also have found this which might interest you.

http://vistasupport....nning_vista.htm

SRX660

muaythai2

muaythai2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks

cathudog

cathudog

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
You can also use disc cleanup to reclaim some of the space being used by shadow copy by clicking on more options and the second one down will delete old shadow copies and such I just did mine before using I had 19 gig being used after using the program I have 3 gig being used or alloted just giving another way to address this issue. Good luck

muaythai2

muaythai2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
WoW allmost 30 Gigabytes Removed , And Ive only had Vista running on there for 10 days .

minchou

minchou

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Wow, Thank you (2 years later)! The free space on my hard drive has been shrinking for the last week (40GB, 20GB, 10GB, 8GB) and I had no idea what was going on. Your tip freed up 60GB!
Thank you again for the wonderful tip.