Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting Files to MP3

• Please log in to reply

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I've saved some songs off of a 30 year old cassette, my own band at the time. I used Audacity to edit them. Then burned to CD. They were saved as .wav files, the default.
What I'm wondering, is there a way to convert them to my puter in another file format, so they could be posted on a small forum of friends that I belong to? I would probably upload them to Photobucket first, then post links from there.
Any ideas??

Thanks!

Advertisements

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
if you mean convert wav files to mp3 or another extension....then this is surely possible
some tools like "ImTOO Audio Maker 3" can do this or "Arial Audio Converter" many many tools can do this
if I understand you wrong ..... let me know

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
MediaCoder is an easy-to-use audio converter. Free, too.

You can also just add the audio files to the iTunes library and convert them by going to Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Importing and choose MP3 as the file format. Then select all the songs you want converted, right-click them and choose "Convert to MP3"

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I finally got them converted to mp3 format. Had to download an encoder to do it. Fairly easy once the encoder is in place, only have to tell Audacity one time where the encoder is located in the puter, after that it's automatic.

Next problem........... I was hoping to save a couple to Photobucket, but it doesn't support music file types. Do you know of any online sites that would work similiar to photo sharing sites, but for music? And this is original music, not ripping off any musical artists at all.

Thanks again!

Edited by Pluto56, 17 February 2008 - 11:59 AM.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
http://www.mediafire.com
http://www.fileden.com
http://www.filefactory.com/

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hey Malikorx. A friend of mine on another forum told me today about Ripway, I downloaded some mp3's there today. Seems to work okay, but only a 30 mb limit for a free account. Anyway, I appreciate the effort! I'll keep this thread bookmarked for sure.
Your'e in Nebraska? I'm about 90 miles from Omaha in NW Missouri.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Yea, I'm in Grand Island. Pretty good distance from you. BTW, I've never personally used a free file server, such as the ones I listed above, but I'll give them all a try and see which I like best. I'll let you know.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Been to Grand Island, nice town. I'm about halfway between KC and Omaha, nice spot to be in.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I like Grand Island, even though there's not much to do here to entertain myself.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You're young, you'll get over it! Anyway, thanks for your help.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Not a problem at all. I like to browse the forum and help out where I can. I use forums to gain more knowledge about computers and technology.