Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bios Upgrade Failure

• Please log in to reply

HyDekar

HyDekar

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi all,

First up, here's my system specs:

Asus P5K LGA775 Motherboard
Intel Core2Duo (can't remember exactly what one, will amend when I find out)
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS
2GB Patriot DDR2 800 Ram

I recently tried upgrading my bios to the latest version as I was planning on doing some minor overclocking, and noticed that they refined the process on some later versions. I used the ASUS Upgrade Tool to flash the bios to the latest version, everything went through (Erased, Flashed and Verified) perfectly, and it came up Reboot to complete, so I pressed okay, and the computer shut down and restarted. However, from there nothing happened. It shut down completely, the screen went blank, and then nothing. The screen came up with 'No Signal', and from what I can tell, the computer isn't actually booting.

I've tried completely disconnecting power, and then plugging it all back in, and turning it on. The lights come on, the fans all start spinning (Case, CPU and GPU fans), the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds, and turns off. The DVD Drive does it's usual boot up spin. But the screen stays blank, and nothing further happens to boot up. No HDD activity, no DVD Drive activity. Nothing.

I've tried the following:

- Unplugged mobo power cords, and replugged them in firmly.
- Taken out RAM sticks, swapped them around, and put only one in.
- Unplugged DVD Drive completely (it's still unplugged).
- Reset the CMOS by removing the battery and changing the jumper from 1+2 to 2+3 for 30secs, and then putting it back to 1+2.
- Unplugged absolutely everything, and left only the monitor plugged in (just to see if any peripherals were causing problems).
- Removed the Graphics Card from the PCI-E slot and putting it back firmly.

Unfortunately, non of the above have made any difference what-so-ever.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Give me a yell if you need any more info. Thanks.

- HyDekar

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The only thing that may help here is the Bad Flash website. Otherwise you are looking at buying a replacement motherboard.

http://www.badflash....rbiosinstr.html

SRX660

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have a floppy drive will it boot from a floppy? Have you tried booting from a bootable CD? If you can make it boot by any means at all you have some chance of recovering the BIOS. Also, on some boards there is an option to disable any BIOS upgrade during the boot process.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
AFUDOS BIOS Update Procedure using floppy...here
you have to read at ASUS's site for the right version of AFUDOS to use with particular versions of bios you are trying to flash..I would try flashing with a floppy before trying anything else first..
no joy..
another link that may help is here...read it all...page 3 and 4 may have the solution

Edited by happyrck, 17 February 2008 - 07:09 AM.

HyDekar

HyDekar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks for the reply guys. I've been looking at it since I woke up this morning, and have had absolutely no luck. I've tried booting from a floppy or CD, but nothing changes. Because the screen doesn't come on, I can't confirm, but I doubt it's even getting to the point of booting from anything. Unfortunately, I don't have a system speaker on the case I have, nor a spare one floating around anywhere, so I can't tell you's any beep codes I'm recieving, I'll steal one off a mate and see if any are coming through.

At the moment, I've already prepared myself for the worst, and am probably going to buy a new motherboard. I'm softening the blow on myself, by upgrading my RAM and GPU at the same time :) Gives me something to look forward to other then a replacement for something I broke :)

I'll give y'all an update if something miraculous happens, I find a system speaker or I manage to fix it. But I still won't say no to any more advise anyone may have :)

Thanks

- HyDekar