Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading options?

• Please log in to reply

neil_1821

neil_1821

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm looking to upgrade my desktop PC as it was top of the line about 3 years ago and is now generally the bottom of the line becuase i can't play that many games because i mainly use it for gaming.

I think i'm going to have to upgradein chunks as i can't afford a whole new system, so what would people recommend for new mobo, processor and RAM?

I'd then be looking at upgrading my gfx card but i want to get the mobo and processor sorted out first. I'm notlooking for an SLi mobo as i intened to buy just 1 gfx card capapble of running games like crysis and GTA 4.

Myfriend has suggested some components which he has then overclocked but wondering if anyoneelse has any views.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

What type of graphics card do you have at the moment? AGP? PCI-E x16?
What type of hard drive do you currently have? EIDE or SATA?

neil_1821

neil_1821

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a SATA hard drive and my gfx card is PCI-E, it's only a 6800Gt, but with looking to upgrade my motherboard,processor,RAM and gfx card i was thinking of something in the 8800 series after nvidia have released their new line in june/july time

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, that's cool.
I'm not a gamer so rather than recommend a specific motherboard, I'm going to make some general recommendations instead.

I don't know if you've already decided on which cpu you want - most people tend to have a preference for either Intel or AMD. Personally, I like AMD and would recommend a retail boxed dual core Athlon, AM2 socket. Don't go for Semprons or Celerons (if you are inclined to opt for Intel).

As for motherboards, I would go with one of the following brands:
Asrock, MSI, Abit, DFI, Asus (normally ok), Gigabyte (possibly)
Stay clear of PC Chips, Jetway, Foxconn, ECS
Nvidia chipsets are pretty good, as are AMD/ATI ones as far as I know. Probably best stick with Nvidia though as you're using an Nvidia based graphics card.

Make sure the board has plenty of potential for upgrading (eg 4 ram slots ideally, support for newer/future cpu's, etc).

Stick with decent brand memory, such as Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, OCZ etc

If anyone else who's into gaming has any more specific recommendations to make, then please do so.....