Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Dead

• Please log in to reply

glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all you Geeks. Great site. I have to confess I committed a mortal sin by not having my two computers plugged into a surge protector. Thunder and lighting storm killed both computers. The newer computer is only 13 months old (Gateway GT 5228) the other is a Dell from 2001 (not concerned about it). Ispoke to Gateway no help, no warranty. I have replaced the power suppy with no help. I have taken the hard drive out and was able to recover my files. Without replacing the motherboard (if that's the answer) is their anything else you geeks can recommend to resurrect this pour soul or is it lost for eternity???

BTW, it was the wife who removed the surge protector, go easy!
Thanks! :)

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
What, you did not use protection? :)
What happens when you turn on the machine?
Any noises, lights, display?

glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I know! When I press the on button there is nothing. No sounds, no lights, no fan. Actually the power supply has a green light on the back of it which is on and it is a new unit.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It sounds like a motherboard issue.
I don't suppose that you have a fuse or reset switch do you?

glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I wondered the same thing. Can you describe what it might look like or where it might be?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Gateway does not give specs on the motherboard. So I do not know if this one even has a fuse.
A fuse could be any where, on the front of the board, or back.
Gateway probably does not use boards with a rest switch or fuse.
If you order a new board, look for third party vendors. Gateway will charge a lot more for it.
You may look for a used board at "pre owned" (now named blue raven).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just for the record...a surge protector would not have helped with a lightning strike/surge anyway...would have killed the surge suppressor too...if you have lightning in the area ...unplug everything from the wall socket

glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your help. I contacted blue raven to see if they have one for my computer. Depending on the cost I don't know if its worth taking a chance and it still doesn't work. Well rough lesson learned.

Thanks,
John

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
There is a switch on the back of lots of towers that has two positions, on and off, usually by the place the wall socket cord plugs in. Check to see if you have one, and toggle it.
Johanna

glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. No on and off toggle there.

Edited by glassmanjpf, 17 February 2008 - 06:51 PM.