Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIG BLACK NORTHGATE PAGE AT START UP and thats all

• Please log in to reply

krakkerblakk

krakkerblakk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
on start i have to enter safe mode to get any response out of my heap, but none of my drivers work nor does my cd drives, bought a xp os disk to reboot,turd wont even read disk because cd drive dont work. i get the feeling that i need to retire the heap.how can i get my northgate up and functional enough to repair whats wrong? :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Hi krakkerblakk, welcome to G2G,

You need a working CD drive before you can do anything else.

Can you get into BIOS Setup? If so, is the CD drive set as the first boot device? If yes and it won't boot from CD then the drive is probably bad and will have to be replaced. See if you can borrow one from a friend to try, they are easy to replace.

krakkerblakk

krakkerblakk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
got cd to load, runs entire set up but then cant find win files so continue setup without,then finish setup then same sit.,loading profile then BAM! BIG BLACK NORTHGATE SCREEN ,and thats it .load xp in safe mode, no internet for help system restore doesnt work,to many files for me to distinguish which ones are missing. THANK YOU RICH, :) THAT IS WHAT WAS WRONG WITH MY CD.So i changed all that and put my HD in as 2nd boot just for S&Gs :) but no extra help with files there.any other help would be appreciated.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Sorry, but I don't understand what you said. :)

What is the state of your computer now? You said:

put my HD in as 2nd boot

Does that mean you now have a different primary hard drive that you are booting from and you are trying to access the data on the old hard drive?

krakkerblakk

krakkerblakk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
sorry about the garbled message :) ,but yes thats what i meant. and believe it or not after using adifferent hard drive to help my old drive limp out some files my northgate runs as good as adell :) .i would have never of got it without your help :) .i still ended doing aclean install with another hrd drive : :) but all is well in my northgate world :) .plea accept my sincerest thanx. :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I love success stories, especially when I'm involved :) Thanks for letting me know.