Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to remove programs uninstalled incorrectly?

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I have an HP pavillion a1560n. Xp Media edition 2005. I have had trouble with the Roxio dvd burner trying to install itself. I keep getting a prompt to install, and it is hard to cancel out of it. I googled the problem, and I see that it is a common one. I asked for HP help in an online chat. BIG mistake.. He told me to do a system restore, and I followed his directions, got a window that said it would restore without changing my personal settings, so I proceeded. It did not solve the problem, but created more.
My virus programs are affected. I get them with my IP provider from CA industires. I tried to uninstall and reinstall them to have protection. When I click on the desktop icon of the pest patrol I get " application failed to start because isafif.dll was not found" resinstall may solve problems.
But when I try to uninstall from the program itself (it does not appear in the add/remove programs) I get "uninstall did not complete sucessfully".
So now what do I do to first correct this virus problem?

I think I will never again buy a computer with a bundled software package. If I had a install cd of the Roxio burner, a lot of problems woudl be solved. I believe the burner that came with my computer is this "tsst corp cd/dvdw ts-h652L. On the HP site for updates there is a place to click on to create a backup cd for that driver. I did that, followed instructions. It is saved to my desktop, and the cd I made. However when I try to run it, it asks under what name do I want to run it either my login or admin. I chose mine first/denied. Tried the admin/denied.
At this point I am ready to go buy a program like Nero where I have my own program CD, and remove this Roxio piece of junk. Should I do that?

And the restore also wiped out my address book, even though it said it woudl save my settings. Is there any way to restore that?
Thanks,
Bette

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
In System Restore you can reverse the changes made by the last system restore you did.

There should be that option.
Try that and see if you can get back to where you were before the system restore.

After all that-
Right click 'my computer'
click properties
click 'hardware' tab
device manager
right click on the dvd burner
click uninstall
reboot/restart computer
It should reinstall your burner.
See if that helps.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Roxio is software for burning cd and dvds.
You can use 'CDburnerXP' instead.
It's free.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/home

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Roxio is software for burning cd and dvds.
You can use 'CDburnerXP' instead.
It's free.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/home

But that would not help the problem of the Roxio burner trying to install itself. And the virus protection problem remains also. I can't remove the old program to install new. And the restore was more than a system restore. It took the computer back to new, except supposedly it saved my old settings. So I can't go back and restore to an earlier time. Now I have hidden programs I can't uninstall, lost my address book, still get the Roxio prompt.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

In System Restore you can reverse the changes made by the last system restore you did.

There should be that option.
Try that and see if you can get back to where you were before the system restore.

After all that-
Right click 'my computer'
click properties
click 'hardware' tab
device manager
right click on the dvd burner
click uninstall
reboot/restart computer
It should reinstall your burner.
See if that helps.

Even if this restore took most programs back to new? It saved some of my personal programs I had downloaded since, but I had to re-do my internet email settings, re install my printers, etc. I don't think I will ever use a HP tech again. :) And there is still the bug in the Roxio burner...

Edited by bettei, 16 February 2008 - 02:05 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to perform the uninstallation of Roxio and the Antivirus in safe mode. If that doesn't work use the link in my signature to download Unlocker. Install the program and boot into safe mode. Look for the programs that you wanr to remove either in Add/Remove programs (in Control Panel) or in Start > All program. Right click the program that you want to remove and from the menu that opens choose to remove with unlocker.

Another program that you can use, if not successfull, is KillBox.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you want to completely get rid of Roxio, do the following:
  • Right click on your Roxio icon on the Desktop and select Properties. Look at the Target: box and note where Roxio is installed, probably C:\Program Files\Roxio .....
  • Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder noted above and delete it.
  • Download and install RegSeeker. Use it's Find in registry tool to locate all occurrences of the word roxio.
  • Make sure the Backup before deletion box is checked then delete all of them.
  • Shutdown and reboot
No more Roxio!

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
So the hp people must have had you do a system restoration, as in restoring the entire system to the beginning. Which is different then the program called 'system restore' in the system tools folder. What I thought you did, was the program instead of the system restoration kit which is very different. My apologies for missing that.

Yeah I had Roxio on a computer at one time. Never did work right.

There are lots of other choices that are free once you get rid of Roxio.

Edited by cmpm, 16 February 2008 - 05:36 PM.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

If you want to completely get rid of Roxio, do the following:

• Right click on your Roxio icon on the Desktop and select Properties. Look at the Target: box and note where Roxio is installed, probably C:\Program Files\Roxio .....
  • Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder noted above and delete it.
  • Download and install RegSeeker. Use it's Find in registry tool to locate all occurrences of the word roxio.
  • Make sure the Backup before deletion box is checked then delete all of them.
  • Shutdown and reboot
No more Roxio!

I downloaded the regseeker. I know it will do a free scan, but not fix things until you pay for it...correct? I saw in no tabs the option "find in registry". I guess you have to purchase the program to find that out.

I also booted in safe mode to delete. The program I want to delete is not there to remove. I also cannot remove it by right clicking the icon on my desktop. It will not allow me to. I am more concerned about getting my virus programs to work, since they are not properly uninstalled. I get "application failed to start because isaf if.dll was not found. reinstalling may solve the problem". Of course, I can't uninstall them to reinstall them. Surely there is a way to do this without downloading a lot of software????? I know they are in c/program files. HOW can I get them out if they are hidden and get my virus proctection working again???

Thanks!

Edited by bettei, 17 February 2008 - 03:16 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, RegSeeker is fully functional and does not require you to buy anything.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, see if it can get rid of CA for you so you can reinstall.

If that doesn't work , try to manually remove CA Etrust (I think thaqt's what you have), see here: http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/19254.html

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Eureka! Those sets of manual instructions did the trick. Thanks!

Bette

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's great Bette, thanks for letting me know.