Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finally building a NEW COMPUTER!

• Please log in to reply

creflo

creflo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear Friends,

My current computer I ordered from Dell in November 2000, and being a full time student that enjoys gaming, I have decided to upgrade to a new system. I currently play games like BF2 and WoW. I want to be ready for future games like Warhammer Online and I would love to be able to play current high-end games like CoD4 and Crisis. I am either going to build this system from scratch myself (which I have never done) or I am going to order one from www.cyberpowerpc.com so I have a few questions for ya’ll:

First off, I would like to know what the general gaming public considers to be the best Windows OS for gaming…Vista or XP? What will XP SP3 and Vista SP1 have to offer for gamers?

Second, I am planning on an Intel/SLI based system, but what processor should I go with…Quad-Core or Dual-Core? I have heard that XP won’t support Quad processors and have also heard that Dual-Core systems are better for gaming.

Third, I would like to know what would be better for high-end games like CoD4 and Crisis…two 8800 GT in SLI or a faster single card like the GTS, GTX, etc.

And finally, has anyone had experience with Cyberpower Inc? I have heard several good things about the systems they build but also have heard that their shipping and return policies are horrible as well as their customer service. This is the system I am looking at buying and yes…I can finally afford it after 8 years of waiting! Here it is: http://www.cyberpowe...inity_SLI_8800/

If I end up buying this PC, I will more than likely get the upgraded memory and PSU (1.1k) just so I don’t have to upgrade further down the road. I don’t really need the monitor as I currently use a Sony 24” Widescreen CRT Monitor capable of insane resolution and almost no response delay (the only bad thing is it’s almost 100 lbs. and that isn’t too fun hauling to grandma’s house in the middle of an ice storm). Anyway, what do you all think? I haven’t kept up with computer technology that much so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Creflo

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

First off, I would like to know what the general gaming public considers to be the best Windows OS for gaming…Vista or XP? What will XP SP3 and Vista SP1 have to offer for gamers?

If you want to play DirectX 10 games (like Crysis, World in Conflict, or any other new game to be released) you need Vista, I recommend Home Premium. If you do not care about DirectX 10 and future games then XP is fine. As for the new service packs to come out, there really isn't anything truly amazing. Just some performance tweaks and compatibility fixes. Vista is not as bad as people say it is, if you want to play the latest games Vista is the way to go.

Second, I am planning on an Intel/SLI based system, but what processor should I go with…Quad-Core or Dual-Core? I have heard that XP won’t support Quad processors and have also heard that Dual-Core systems are better for gaming.

Sounds good. It is true that a lot of PC games are not optimized for quad core processors but that will change over time with new games coming out. At the moment though, you are getting a better bang for your buck with the dual core processors. If you go dual core get an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz. If you go quad go with an Intel Qore 2 Duo Q6600 2.4GHz.

Third, I would like to know what would be better for high-end games like CoD4 and Crisis…two 8800 GT in SLI or a faster single card like the GTS, GTX, etc.

Well two 8800GT in SLI will be faster then any other card in single configuration. At the moment just one 8800GT is good enough to play Crysis, the most demanding game on the market, on High. What I might do is buy an 8800GTS 512MB and later down the road put them in SLI. The GTS is about $30 more then the GT on Newegg.

8800GT 512MB: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130318
8800GTS 512MB: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130325

I do not know to much about Cyberpower Inc but building a PC yourself is a lot more cost efficient. They usually jack up the prices and you do not get the awesome rebates like you do on Newegg. It is not that hard. The hard part is just planing it out.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Edited by jackflash1991, 16 February 2008 - 07:07 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you are not confortable building your own PC then this one would be better than the cyberpowerpc for a lower cost: http://www.uberclok.com/reaktor.html

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

If you are not confortable building your own PC then this one would be better than the cyberpowerpc for a lower cost: http://www.uberclok.com/reaktor.html

Yes of course. He mentioned that he might build one from scratch so that is why I was promoting it.

I am either going to build this system from scratch myself (which I have never done) or I am going to order one from www.cyberpowerpc.com so I have a few questions for ya’ll:

creflo

creflo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did a bit of research and found out that the Extreme Quad-Core CPUs are expensive and maybe it would be better to just upgrade to the new 45nm CPU later on down the road and go for a Q6600 now. Also, I'm going to try and build from scratch then see what the price difference is between the custom built PC vs. the cyberpower PC that I can build on their site. I've heard some people say it was cheaper to buy from them than build the same rig themselves, since they give rebates on most of the parts you select, etc. However, that could just be marketing fluff who knows.

Anyhow, my main goal for this computer is high-end gaming for now (CoD4, Crisis) with plenty of power and upgrade ability for the future. My budget is around $3,500 but the less I can spend, the better of course.

I was planning on something like this:

Intel Q6600 CPU (how fast can I overclock this again?)
Asus Striker II 780i Mobo (cause I've never OC'd before and heard it would help)
2x2GB Corsair XMS2 RAM (I heard this is the best RAM)
2xEVGA Geforce 8800 GT in SLI (or get better card then SLI later on?)
2x150GB Western Digital Raptor 10k RPM SATA150 16MB Cache (should I go 4x74GB setup instead?)
320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (go more?)
1.1k watt Tagan TG1100-U96 TurboJet Quad Quiet SLI Ready (for future upgrades)
Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (or should I go with a fan system?)
DVD-RW / CD-RW Drive (should I get a combo drive or 2 singles?)
CoolerMaster Cosmos Silent Gaming Tower Case (good ventilation/noise reduction but I'm open to suggestions)

Yes I've never overclocked anything before, and yes I am not familiar with the best setups for Raid and Optical drives, etc. but hopefully I will learn with your help. At some point I will use this computer with Fraps to create in-game videos and such once I learn the software. I've always wanted a top-notch computer that can do just about anything I throw at it and now is my chance. With that in mind, please feel free to continue giving me great advice. Thanks.

Creflo

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

You can not really say. There are a lot of factors to consider, like amount of cooling and the environment the PC will be in, like humidity and temp of the room.

I would get 4x1GB instead (4 sticks of RAM instead of 2). You will get a performance boost because you can run the RAM in dual channel.

I personally have never liquid cooled before because I am too scared. I have had a friend who has fried his system because of a leek. IMO fan cooling is sufficient enough and can get close to the cooling power of liquid cooling with good heatsinks and circulation.

DVD-RW / CD-RW Drive (should I get a combo drive or 2 singles?)

Just preference. If you are making copies of CDs a lot then it might be a good idea but I am fine with just one CD-RW/DVD-RW drive.

PS: Where do you plan to buy these parts from? I personally use Newegg for most of my computer stuff.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

This depends a lot on the specific chip that you get. Some chips just OC better than others. One major thing will be whether of not it has G0 stepping or B2. The G0 chips overclock much better but it is luck whether or not you get one.

I would get 4x1GB instead (4 sticks of RAM instead of 2). You will get a performance boost because you can run the RAM in dual channel.

The RAM will run in dual channel mode with only the two sticks. Breaking it down into four is bad business for overclocking. The more RAM sticks you add the more stress on your memory controller when you are really pushing the OC speeds. Also if you are looking for the "best" than XMS2 isn't even the best RAM that Corsair makes: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145043. It looks like all the best 1066 speed RAM is out of stock at Newegg ATM. The OCing ability of you RAM won't be all that important because with the Nvidia chipsets you can "unlink" the RAM speed and the FSB.

Personally, I would just get a good active cooling system. You can get a top of the line CPU cooler for around $50 whereas a watercooling system will run you $300 and will be a hassle to assemble. I also have never liked the idea of water running through my computer. Always afraid I would spring a leak.

2x150GB Western Digital Raptor 10k RPM SATA150 16MB Cache (should I go 4x74GB setup instead?)

This is a waste of money and should be dropped. Add another 320GB SATAII and run it in a RAID configuration.

1.1k watt Tagan TG1100-U96 TurboJet Quad Quiet SLI Ready (for future upgrades)

You would only need 1KW with Quad SLI. A nice 750-850w would do you fine. Here is my "best of the best" choices for the high end range:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad - PCP&C PSUs are very reliable
Antec TPQ-850 ATX12V / EPS12V 850W - *Rated best of the year on Anand Tech*
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX - You can check out a review on our homepage.

Edited by Titan8990, 18 February 2008 - 10:32 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you want a high wattage PSU I'd get this guy if you want it modular, personally cannot stand none modual PSUs.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817256022
I wouldn't recommend the Antec titan mentioned because of issues with some nVidia cards and the fact that it has multiple rails. A high voltage PSU should have no more then two 12V rails and ideally only one 12V rail.

This is a waste of money and should be dropped. Add another 320GB SATAII and run it in a RAID configuration.

Unless you want a continuous backup of information, please do not use RAID. Stay away from raptors, not worth the price premium. Go for the F1 pinpoint drives from Samsung if you want the best performance. Go with Seagate if you want good performance (only second to Samsung) but better warranty.

2xEVGA Geforce 8800 GT in SLI (or get better card then SLI later on?)

Never SLI low end cards. Either get one 8800GTS 512mb or get two. Don't get two 8800GT.

If you are getting a watercooling kit, get Switch, otherwise build it yourself. I have built myself and couldn't be happier, but in all honesty, it's not the worth the little extra head room you get over high end air cooling. I spent $500 on my setup, you could have gotten similar performance with $200 and high end air cooling. My advantage is that I can run my system much quieter if I ever want to do so.

Personally, I would just get a good active cooling system. You can get a top of the line CPU cooler for around $50 whereas a watercooling system will run you $300 and will be a hassle to assemble. I also have never liked the idea of water running through my computer. Always afraid I would spring a leak.

If you know what you are doing, a watercooling setup will never leak. I don't even have clamps to secure most of my hose to my barbs because my seal is so tight.

You can still run 2x2GB in dual channel.

The RAM will run in dual channel mode with only the two sticks. Breaking it down into four is bad business for overclocking. The more RAM sticks you add the more stress on your memory controller when you are really pushing the OC speeds. Also if you are looking for the "best" than XMS2 isn't even the best RAM that Corsair makes: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145043. It looks like all the best 1066 speed RAM is out of stock at Newegg ATM. The OCing ability of you RAM won't be all that important because with the Nvidia chipsets you can "unlink" the RAM speed and the FSB.

For a lower FSB chip such as the Q6600, 800MHz RAM will be lots.

A lot depends on the chip. Newer batches seem like they won't pass 2.8GHz, other batches will go into the 3.8GHz area.

Lastly, if you are overclocking a quad you must have some kind of aftermarket cooling if you do not want watercooling.

James

Edited by james_8970, 18 February 2008 - 03:15 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Are you against RAID 0 because of the risk of data loss?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Are you against RAID 0 because of the risk of data loss?

Essentially. The performance gain is virtualy null with a huge increase in risk of data loss, the risk increases for each drive you add to the array.
Because of the absence of performance gain, there is no reason to really recommend it.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 February 2008 - 04:16 PM.

Zinic

Zinic

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am in the blue like you (rhymes). I am building my computer too.

I heard most games don't utilize quad processors. That's not going to stop me.