Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

is this ASUS motherboard compatible with CRUCIAL EPP?

• Please log in to reply

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
hey im building my first pc and im don't know wether Crucials EPP RAM requires a specail mobo or if it works with any mobo. so the question is: is this ASUS motherboard compatible with this EPP Crucial RAM?

Asus- Asus M2N-MX SE Plus

Crucial RAM- Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz EPP Memory (2x 1024MB)

CPU- CP1-AM2-4000E :: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Processor ADO4000DDBOX - 2.10GHz, 1MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB ), Brisbane, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket AM2, Processor with Fan

HDD-TSD-80AS6 :: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM (1 lbs)

DVD DRIVE- A457-4026 :: Aopen 16X DVD-ROM 1648L Pro Chameleon w/SW Retail (2.15 lbs)

CASE W/PSU- A406-1028 :: Xion II Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

Above are the parts that i am planing to order tonight. If anyone completely disagrees on my choice of parts i would gladly change them if you can recommend a better one. i also read ONE bad review on the power supply that comes with this case...can if anyone agrees can anyone suggest a similar PSU with better quality and similar price (about half the price of the case/psu combo lol)
thanks in advanced
thanks in advanced

Advertisements

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i found a better deal on the Corsair XMS2 DHX 2048MB Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB) but like all the other RAM i've seen itsays PC when the motherboard says it supports PC2, now im starting to think that they're them same thing....can anyone confirm this for me?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you look your motherboard up through Crucial, the memory offered is guaranteed to work with your motherboard or you get your money back.
The Corsair might be cheaper but again it'll be generic and while its most likely it will work, there's no guarantees like there are with the Crucial.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

The specifications of that motherboard do not say anything about being EPP compatible. Also, having a quick look at it - it's a very basic motherboard and does not allow much room for upgrades.

Link

Cheers

Troy

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Hi there,

The specifications of that motherboard do not say anything about being EPP compatible. Also, having a quick look at it - it's a very basic motherboard and does not allow much room for upgrades.

Link

Cheers

Troy

its my first build and it was the cheapest i could get from ASUS lol i really just wanted something reliable that won't break in the first week of having it. i'll build a better computer later as soon as i can successfully complete atleast 1 build. thank you very much every1 that helped and i'm ordering my parts in 30 min, hopefully everything goes out right :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

CASE W/PSU- A406-1028 :: Xion II Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

Above are the parts that i am planing to order tonight. If anyone completely disagrees on my choice of parts i would gladly change them if you can recommend a better one. i also read ONE bad review on the power supply that comes with this case...can if anyone agrees can anyone suggest a similar PSU with better quality and similar price (about half the price of the case/psu combo lol)

I'm sorry I missed this post earlier. XION PSU's are just about as bad as you can get. The ripple effect in this PSU is so bad that it'll reduce the lifespan of you components by a fair amount. The Sonata III is a great case/PSU combo with excellent value. If yopu can cancel the order I would do so.

Also there are much better optical drives out there.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 February 2008 - 03:20 PM.

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

I'm sorry I missed this post earlier. XION PSU's are just about as bad as you can get. The ripple effect in this PSU is so bad that it'll reduce the lifespan of you components by a fair amount. The Sonata III is a great case/PSU combo with excellent value. If yopu can cancel the order I would do so.

Also there are much better optical drives out there.
James

you were so right James..... the PSU that came with the case died after 15 minutes.... i was so scared because i thought it was something else....this is the other topic i started ------->"okay i build the PC and i was soo scared to turn it on at first but i finally go to it....so i press the power button and VOILA IT WORKS!!! IT SHOWS THE BIOS PAGES AND THEN SAYS TO INSERT A BOOT CD (or somethign along those lines) i was soo happy, since it said to restart and insert boot media i deciede to restart and configure the BIOS and looks at system health, but WAIT there was no restart option, so i just pressed the power button (im not sure if this was the best thing to do ) and as soo as i turned it back on i hit the delete button to enter the bios... i was looking through the various option and VOSHHHHHH the power goes off and the screen turns pitch black....i thought i blew something up but i smelled no smoke and i heard/saw no sparks.....CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME??? WHAT IS WRONG?? IS THIS A SIMPLy DEFFECTIVE PSU??? OR COULD THERE BE A WORSE PROBLEM??? i;ll tell you now that my PSU wasn't the best quality because it came with my XION 2 BLACK GAMING CASE 450w psu."
so i went to the local best buy and got a new Antec 500w psu and it seems to work fine ----->"thanks to everybody! i THINK the problem is solved the ...it was a bad PSU. I went over to the local Best Buy and got an Antec 500w PSU and plugged it in and every thing SEEMS to be fine i've left the computer running for half an hour (i haven't installed an OS yet so i just leave it in the BIOS computer health page) and everything worked fine for that half hour that i left it running"

but i have two more questions that i also already posted somewheres .....>"1. How would i update/install drivers if i'm using Ubuntu? Also are there any uses for the CD's that come with the motherboard and DVD drive? The motherboard came with a CD that says "vista drivers inside" The DVD drive just came with free software.

2.Is 40-45 degreesC okay for a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ processor when idleing? Because my P4 runs at 34 idleing, i think it is because the new processor is faster than my old P4."

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

. How would i update/install drivers if i'm using Ubuntu? Also are there any uses for the CD's that come with the motherboard and DVD drive? The motherboard came with a CD that says "vista drivers inside" The DVD drive just came with free software.

Many Linux drivers are written by the users and the makers the OS, unlike Windows. Those disks won't help you. For the most part your drivers will install automatically in Ubuntu. There is a program (I forget the name) that will automatically download and install you latest graphics drivers.

2.Is 40-45 degreesC okay for a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ processor when idleing? Because my P4 runs at 34 idleing, i think it is because the new processor is faster than my old P4.

How hot does it get under load?

Edited by Titan8990, 25 February 2008 - 08:41 AM.