Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Quad Core CPU6600 Temp. at 93C?!?

• Please log in to reply

koolguy

koolguy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I built a new system and it seems to shut down when I play CPU-intensive games. I looked at the NVidia Control Panel and it says my CPU is running at over 90 degrees Celsius... (Over 200F).

I have a CPU fan installed with paste over it. Does the computer shut down based on what BIOS says the temperature is? What can I do to fix this?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Do check that your processor fan is spinning. Also check that the heatsink is secured properly.
This needs to be done urgently as 93 degrees for extended periods (if that is the processor's true temperature) is enough to damage it to a point where its unusable, thus it will invalidate any warranty you have.
What are your temperatures under idle?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have any case fans ...should have two...one in the rear up high blowing OUT of the case..one in front blowing INTO the case...
I agree with Neil Jones...running that hot is bad news

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi koolguy, since you mentioned you look at Nvidia control panel, may I ask what motherboard do you use? Because I just want to rule out that you have mistaken CPU temperature with GPU temperature. Any processor (CPU) that above 70C is indeed bad.. A GPU temperature at full load however (not at idle), may reach over 90C and it's considered normal for hi-end VGA card (not for mid-range..)

Also may I know what VGA card do you use and what game do you play..

Is you use default bios setting, I believe, it has been set to shutdown the computer if your processor temperature goes beyond 70C or something...

If you have motherboard with Nvidia chipset than perhaps your processor indeed is overheat.. For me, the very first step I would do is to clean my interior from dust and to re-apply thermalpaste in between the processor and heatsink/fan.. and of course make sure the heatsink connection is tight enough.. :)

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
oh wow. That's hot. Did you use any thermal paste? if you did than you should just do the process all over again. Clean it and use a credit card to spread the new paste. If it's running that hot than just go with liquid cooling. :)